Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

2014 Projects Thread!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
fangar150-ex

2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 am

sometimes it's difficult to find a LEAKER, it's worse with multiple LEAKERS, sometimes the spark plugs can reveal a lot of info. the injectors can also stick, it can get really difficult with out a oscilloscope.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 11:09 am

Haha, hence all 8.

I VERY CAREFULLY put my brakes back together yesterday. Oddly enough, I didn't need the new cable or anything. Test drive coming today. I left the burnt rotor on so I can make sure everything's okay before I put the new one on.

I actually made some progress on my Explorer intake. The lower is now painted crinkle black, and looks sweet. Started painting the first of FOUR colors on the upper intake plate too. I'm going to try and get the last of the corrosion off the upper today so I can finally paint it. Also on the docket is replacing my door chime. My old one crapped out for some reason. I have to pull the center console out to do it though. What a pain in the a$s.

My second rear shock that I ordered OVER SIX MONTHS AGO is finally on its way. It was so long ago, my order with Maximum Motorsports had expired, haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Door chime fixed! Brake repair successful!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 11:10 pm

coollamundo.......
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 11:01 am

Got rid of my old shocks yesterday, so hopefully the new one comes soon. The car is sitting with only one shock on it. Work continues on the Explorer intake though.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 am

I cant be bothered to wait for more than a couple of hours for shocks we have scrappa, auto bone merles & O'riley's. shocks have progressed a lot over the years, everyone is trying to "price-cut/price match & performance match. I understand about the adjustability of some shocks, but I don't have the car to use them on, I just use stock shocks & anti-roll bars from different cars.
probably the most informative training I've had recently was from NAPA, they very well aware of the competition's products, and very aware of customer needs.
are you going to change the PCM calibration when you add the explorer intake, can you use the same MAF?
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 10:50 am

I have a C&L MAF set up for 24#ers I'm going to put on. It came with the engine, but I had swapped it out for a stock one since I didn't have 24#ers before. The bore on the MAF is MUCH bigger than stock, and I have the Explorer 65MM throttle body, along with a new EGR spacer to match. I'm hoping for a decent bump in performance! The intake isn't coming out looking that great, but I don't care that much. The corrosion did significant damage to the outside of it.
My new shocks aren't adjustable, but they are fairly affordable for what you get (half the price of Bilsteins). I'm really happy with the difference the struts made in the front. I would not have preferred to have to wait 6 months for the rears, but it was important to me to have all 4 match this time around.
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 11:11 am

Brad paint that plentum krinkle black like the intake. It would look great and match the intake.
So if your motor was alread set up for #24s ....was the computer already adjusted for the them ?
I ask because that could be why you smell fuel if you have stock injectors now. The computer. Could be over fueling at start up and while running. Does your oil smell like fuel?
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Yeah, that would certainly cover up the problem, but I don't like black plenums. Besides, it wouldn't look "stock".

The MAF is what adjusts the computer for different size injectors. I don't think anything's been done to the module itself. I imagine it's a cheat that someone figured out. The MAF adjusts the signal it feeds to the computer so the injector pulses are still correct for conditions.

I'm not sure about the oil. I'll check it though.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 am

I think a silver intake would look nicer, it kinda matches the era also.
are you planning on doing any more shows this year?
the 5.0 intake certainly stands out in a Fairmont, but the explorer manifold would be a shocker.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm

I went to a show yesterday. But I couldn't bring the car because I got rid of my old shocks and my new one hadn't shown up yet. It came today, naturally. I saw a Capri there where the guy had done pretty much the same as I have though. So it was fun to compare notes. It would have been more fun to show him my car though. Oh well.

I checked my oil, and it doesn't smell like gas.

Tomorrow, my plan is to drill and tap the needed holes in the lower intake for the ACT and heater pipe, clean out the injector ports because they still have corrosion on them, and maybe even start working on the swap. I may just wait until the snow flies to do that though, so I can keep driving the car.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 11:37 pm

what are you going to use for an induction system? will the hose from the explorer fit. it will be cool i'm sure. it's got to knock the socks off of the purist! I had a blast with my 5.0, until people started asking questions, then I felt kinda lost.my biggest regret was not having mass air, I still have the sensor & wiring, just never got around to getting the hose & doing it. how does it ride now, is it better? did you polish the wheels or clear coat them. I used normal paint stripper and a tooth brush on my 10 holes ans just krylon-ed them. then a guy gave me some wheels that were re-sprayed from the body shop, there wasn't that much difference, the krylon never yellowed. keep putting the miles on, then when winter starts, you can get to work on it for next year.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 am

I'm hoping I can use the stock hose. Explorers used an aluminum 90* elbow that had the EGR on it and stuff, so that looks pretty different. Might have to stretch my stock hose a bit to get it on the bigger throttle body, but it's not THAT much bigger, so I'm hoping for the best. I used to know a guy that converted his from mass air to speed density. He was kind of a dunce though. And a jerk to boot.

Haha, it's hard to believe there would be any "purists" for late '70s to early '80s slow as crap cars, but sure enough, I've talked to a few! They're out there!

That's a good idea clear coating my wheels. They are uncoated right now, and in pretty bad need of a polish. I saw an SVO at that show Sunday that had had the wheels redone on it. Man, did they look nice! Maybe i'll tackle that as a winter project too.

I haven't driven it with the new rear shocks yet, but I've been VERY happy with how it drives since putting the new springs and front struts in. And the new seat foam made a difference in feeling the bumps in the seat of my pants too! I couldn't be happier with it!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 am

sounds like you're making good progress, it's amazing how much difference a new seat cushion can make. were your seat frames damaged? there's plenty of wheel polish on the market, are you going to do the wheels in a mat or gloss finish.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Took it for a drive today. Still rides great! Did have a problem though. I put a manual shifter bezel in my console and attached the boot to it, rather than using the automatic bezel from before. Well, something's not lining up well and now the stupid shifter likes to jump out of gear in 1st, 3rd, and 5th. (SIGH). I guess there always has to be something, doesn't there?

I would do the wheels gloss. I'm kind of afraid to even starting polishing because I'll find out pretty quickly just how much trouble it's going to be to polish the marks and blemishes out of them.

I started drilling the hole in the intake for the ACT sensor. My stupid drill bit walked way off to the side so now it's way off center on the boss, which bugs me. I've been stepping up one bit size at a time, but still broke a BUNCH of bits. it's a good 3/4" of aluminum you have to drill through. And to boot, the drill bit I bought for the job isn't the right size. It's way too small. So I still have to buy a giant bit, and I have a lot more sizes to go through before I get there. I hope my drill is up to the job! And I still have another hole the same size I have to do!
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm looking forward to going down to St Peter this Sunday for the car show. Its usually a huge turn out and swap meet is insane.
Wishing I could take my car but maybe next year.
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Dang, I knew there was something big I was going to miss Sunday as soon as I committed to the Corn Maze.

At least that and the shifter thing give me a good excuse to take the intake off and go ahead with the project.

Mark my words, next summer, I'm driving the crap out of this car. This year, it's just not in the cards.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am

maybe it would be cheaper to take your intake to the machine shop and have them drill the holes for you. if you tell them what you are doing, and have a little time, they may do it on the cheap.
you guys seem to have a lot of car shows over there, we hardly have any over here, maybe its too hot.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 am

Yeah, I thought of that. I ordered the bit, so we're going to see how it goes a bit more tomorrow. I may have a machine shop do the other hole if it doesn't go well, haha.

There are several car shows we could do every single weekend, all summer long. Because we only have so much of the year we can do it. Although, I think most show organizers are overly cautious about ending them early. Usually by October, they're all done, and I think there could be shows well into November. Down where you are, they're probably lazy about it because they can do it anytime, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 8:34 am

We have a few small local area shows, no swap meets; the big one (close to me) in Douglas has been cancelled until a new location can be established. I heard that the rates for the venue were significantly increased; prohibiting usage of facility, so now they get NOTHING……
They had all types of cars, early 1900’s up to today, motorcycles, bicycles even a VW Bug Bar B Que pit! A LOT of talent was displayed; some cars even came from Mexico. I like Lead Sleds, rat rods, hot rods, wild paint, glass etching, fancy leather work, all kinds of cars, it was really cool.
Today there is a small one at our GM store; I probably won’t go as they are our competition, and you don’t want you photo taken “behind the lines”.
We have a lot of trailer queens that win at our main “local” car show, I voiced my opinion, and it was heard, however I later found out I wasn’t the only one who thinks that way. “Local to me means from this area” I think that if you have a car with chrome headers and it doesn’t have a “for sale” sign on it, there should be burn spots on the chrome, and usage marks on the rotors and tires, and it should run so the crowd can hear what it sounds like. I have a lot of respect for anyone entering a car show, some people are not rich, some are very creative, but all are open to hecklers, and that isn’t what the event is for, there are some real wolves running around wearing “Levi’s and a Tee shirt”
I like the Dyno-runs, but some poor guys actually have “bad luck” I personally wouldn’t do it; they’d probably pull my car apart when they tied it down or scratch the rust spots!!! I don’t know if it has enough power to actually turn the roller, or they may put it in the “crusher” by mistake.
When we tried to organize a “Power- Fest” it clearly stated “No Trailer Queens” all vehicles to be driven to the event from at least some distance, and if your gears were too low, leave early! Some of the event’s ideas were taken over by another entity and butchered, I wasn’t P/O’d, as it really didn’t really match what we were trying to do. It was opened to all types of vehicles including trucks doing a pull-off, basically; they had to earn the “pair of balls hanging from their hitch” rice burners ETC and ending with a mass burn-out for willing participants.
I still have the write-up, maybe it will happen one day, if I win the lottery, it will happen for sure, and there WILL be a swap meet! That would be the best dollar I’d ever spend…..you and your bud Stymee would have to be special guest‘s and judges. And we could put your cars in the central arena…..i’d probably leave mine in the parking area.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah, you could fly our cars down there, haha. That's too bad about your show situation. Is Phoenix any better? Trailer queens p!ss me off. I didn't go to that many shows that had them this year, but the situation I run into is, these clubs all come together in force, take all the most prominent spots and then vote only for each other. It's a bunch of bull****. My dad and I don't even stick around for the trophies anymore.

I don't see many hecklers. People make comments under their breath, but would never rip a guy to his face! We like to be passive-aggressive up here. haha
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 2:36 pm

yeah, I went anyway, I should have never gone; there was a 67 cougar there, I had a good look at it, sighed; and moved on....I thought I got it out of my system, obviously not.
they had some nice old iron there, we had our COPO Camaro out, and our Boss 302R Mustang over as well, they both look better outside than in the showrooms.
Shame about the Bronco, we were supposed to have it ready for the car show in October, when we got busy we stopped working on it, we ran in to exhaust and A/C problems anyway, it will make it next year.
hell; if I win the lottery, we can ship your cars anyway you prefer, and you guys and your family can be limo driven if you like, that way you can stop and take pix when ever you prefer. just don't get confused, I'm not taking about a $10.00 win.............
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 3:17 pm

The '67 Cougar is cool. I'd rather have a '69 though. haha

OH! speaking of balls, I was behind a truck the other day that had a chrome scrotum hanging from its hitch. What a stupid, gross idea. I do think you should start a band named Chrome Scrotum though.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm

funny how you mention chrome balls, did it look like it's never been off road? there are some guys around here that have some pretty nasty trucks, they start off in 4 whl drive & belch-out clouds of black smoke and they're off!! a guy at work has one, and it is pretty fast and amazingly; even with a 5in exhaust, it's pretty quiet.
that's a great name for a band in your local area that you came up with, let us all know how you get along with your audition for lead flute & tambourine player.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Finished my intake plaque today! I think the intake looks pretty good too. Right now I'm in the middle of the surgery on the throttle body to put the Mustang arm in place of the Explorer one. I've painted SO much stuff for this project... I still have a few more to go. The heater hose pipe, and the throttle cable bracket and MAF bracket. I can't wait to see it all put together.

2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Expl_310
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 Projects Thread!
Page 5 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next