Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 pm by Fairmont_Jeff

» 2016 Projects Thread!
Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:09 pm by Stymees'mont

» 2015 Project Thread!
Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:22 pm by ZephyrEFI

» For Fairmont on the Road Course Videos...
Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:03 am by ZephyrEFI

» My Zeph 2015
Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:47 pm by ZephyrEFI

» what years to avoid emissions equipment?
Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:09 pm by fangar150-ex

» yoooohooooooo
Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:49 am by fangar150-ex

» 2014 Projects Thread!
Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 pm by ZephyrEFI

» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:41 pm by ZephyrEFI

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Share | 

2014 Projects Thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:46 pm

looks really nice, do you have any intentions on clear coating it? I should imagine the stress must be building up...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:59 pm

I clear coated the plaque. I'm kind of afraid to do much more for fear that it might burn and yellow. I didn't clear coat my HO intake and it's held up really well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:51 pm

cool; how are you getting on with the hole drilling & tapping?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Pretty sure I'm going to have a machine shop do it. I want to see if they can re-center that one hole I ended up off center on, and the other hole HAS to be in the right spot. I still need to pull the heater hose pipe off the car so I can see exactly where it needs to be, which means draining coolant, and that sounded like too much work, haha. Got out to see Stymee today though!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:31 pm

i reckon once they secure that manifold and start drilling & tapping, you'll be pleased. drilling by hand is a pain, it's never straight, put that baby in a jig/vice, DONEZO!!!
did you manage to unload those red seats while you were visiting?
shame you guys live so far away, I'd love to go for a cruise.
we have the car show here on the 11th of Oct, I may or I may enter, or I may have to work, we'll see. if I do enter, i'll have it detailed by a detailer, then I can complain if they try to make the paint shine!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:35 pm

That would be great!

So I have this Stacey David "Build Book" I'm trying to fill out. I can never remember the oil capacity of the 5.0L when it comes time to buy oil, so I thought it might be nice to document it once and for all. I tried googling it, and ended up going to many many many pages that turned out to be dead ends. Come on! This should be a commonly known thing! I found a bunch of pages that claimed they had owners manuals available for download, but none of them actually did. Including Ford. They only have them as far back as '96, and that's exactly one year too late. How ridiculous.

Yep, Stymee's going to use the red seats. He actually has Mustang LX seats in his, so this is still an upgrade!

Let us know how the show goes if you go!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 pm

5 qts eng oil!!!!
I used to keep all my parts documents recorded in XL, it was a pain, but now its easier, as MOST of the arts come from ONE car now.
I like Stacey David's show, some people think poorly of him, but I find his show interesting and informative.
I glad you gave the seats away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am

Yeah, I know that NOW, haha. I get confused because I remember the trucks are 6 quarts, I think... the modular trucks are 6 1/2, and I think modular cars are 6....

I'm surprised by that. What do people say about Stacey? Gearz is by far my favorite of that type of show.

My wife is a big Excel fan. I do use it for some things too, but I did a little bit of Oracle and Access database stuff, so I start to think about how the info I want to organize could best be put into a database, and then I get overwhelmed and just don't do anything at that point. haha

Prolly get some work done on the car today!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:02 pm

perhaps it's jealousy, he has a load of people dump a load of parts off at his place, he gets the parts, they get the advertising; not a bad deal. he has some pretty good ideas sometimes. watching his show is how I found out about the rack & pinion set up on the older Mustangs & Cougars, it also gets rid of the shock towers! he's pretty lucky in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:46 am

Yeah, that Cougar he did is super cool. I would have gone with a different color than black myself though. I know people are down on those shows in general because they're pretty much one big product placement commercial. Kind of a necessary evil though. They do need sponsors. Just take what they say about such and such being the best product with a grain of salt, and enjoy the show, I say. Stacey's a funny guy. I really like watching Gearz. Plus I don't mind using the products they advertise. They're willing to do what it takes to get their product in front of me, fine! And if the product isn't good, sometimes that comes through too. I remember a Muscle Car where they painted a '70 Mustang with Duplicolor Paint Shop paint, and it turned out looking like crap. hahahaha!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Well, I broke an intake bolt off in one of the heads. So, she probably won't be back on the road this year. I've never removed a broken bolt myself before.

It did give me an excuse to order a nice intake stud kit though. So that'll make things easier when I got to install the intake. I hope they don't interfere with the fuel rails.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:20 pm

did the stud break off flush or can you get some vice grips on it. if it broke off flush, use a good sharp center punch and punch it in the center, no pun intended. drill 1/8 in hole into the bolt using a brand new cobalt drill bit or an Irwin self centering bit, once this pilot hole is drilled, the you can go bigger and use an extractor, I use the MATCO shank style extractors, they are tougher than the hinges on the gates of hell, and rarely break, you'll be ok, just go slow with the drilling so you can keep the bit parallel with the bolt.
the local car show is a miss for me, I've got to work that weekend. kinda sucks because one of my teammates wiggled his way out of work that weekend. I think he's on shaky ground and shouldn't be messing around, oh well....pissed; not me I'm furious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:22 pm

It's not flush exactly, but I don't think I could get a tool on it. I did order a set of extractors too. I had this bolt out in 2010, so I'm optimistic it's not in there too stubbornly.

If it doesn't come with a reasonable amount of effort, I'm thinking of turning my efforts towards grabbing some Explorer heads from the boneyard. if I pull them myself, I should be able to get them for way cheap. Don't know though, I've never removed a head myself before. I'd be concerned about putting something back together wrong.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 pm

not to worry, once the intake and exhaust is off, you're pretty much there. you would have to try pretty hard to screw it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

It's not so much the removal I'm worried about as the installation. Messing up the head gasket is a pretty big deal. And I don't have a way of knowing for sure whether the mating surfaces are good to go.

I succeeded in drilling and tapping 3 holes yesterday, which I had never done before, haha. 2 for the intake plaque and one for the throttle lever on the throttle body. The Explorer lever is backwards for the Mustang application, so you have to swap to the Mustang lever. And since they are welded on, I had to drill and tap a hole for a screw to hold the lever on. The only potential issue I'm finding is, it doesn't seem like the Explorer throttle body closes as far as the Mustang one, so that may cause problems with the TPS reading. I won't know for sure until I get everything back on the car and check the voltage reading though.

I didn't attempt removing the broken bolt though because the extractor set didn't come until late in the day. Next car work day is tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 pm

I had been using the resistance as sort of a way of checking the TPS alignment. I played with my throttle body a bit more today and got the resistance values very close to what they were with the Mustang TB. I had taken the throttle plate off while I was cleaning it up when I first got it. It was rusty and sticky. Anyway, today I loosened the screws and was able to get it to close tighter, then tightened them back up. Should be all good!

Looking forward to getting that broken bolt out tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:55 pm

what year is your throttle body/intake. Once you get it running;setting the tps on a warmed-up engine involves disconnecting the idle speed controller, setting base idle with the  the throttle plate and making sure the TP voltage does not rise above 1.0 volt at idle, lets see what year you have & we'll go from there.
are you able to use the explorer throttle cable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:46 am

The Explorer intake/throttle body have the internal EGR passage, so that makes them 1996 to early '97 vintage. And since I'm using a Mustang style EGR spacer (as opposed to the Explorer 90* elbow), the throttle body will sit in the same spot, so I can use the Mustang throttle and cruise cables.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:04 am

I think you adjust them the same way as the fox mustangs so you should be ok. resistance values are meaningless, it's voltage you should monitor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, i'll definitely check the voltage when I get everything put back together.

Had no success getting that bolt out yesterday. I picked up a different style of extractor from Sears that looks pretty good, so we'll try that next.

I did manage to drill the other sensor hole in the lower intake without any trouble though. It certainly helped that it was a straight vertical hole. I was able to use my drill press bracket thingy for my electric hand drill for most of the sizes, then I had to switch to my air drill because it has a 1/2" chuck. I may finish up the other sensor hole myself, we'll see. I was happy to get that done, anyway.

I re-sealed my new injectors too. A couple of them had broken pintle caps. I wish I had known that before I bought the seal set that I did. It only came with the O-rings. And apparently the only way you can get new pintle caps is with a seal set. So I had to buy 2 more individual seal sets. I tried to pop some caps off my old injectors, but nothin' doin'. They don't come off without shattering into a million pieces.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:53 am

yeah, that heat is a bummer, good work on the drilling. make sure you use a good thread sealer like the white permatex #765 1188 with Teflon. its a good all round thread sealer, I've been using it for years on frt covers intakes etc; however it's no good for single wire sensors like temp senders as it is not a good conductor for grounds. when putting on gaskets like thermostats, I use permatex high tack # 80062.
yesterday was my day off; I went in to fix the oil dispensing units, the head unit took a dump, and we had no way to dispense the oils, did some research, and rewired the solenoids and used two 12 volts batteries in a series to power them, you'd think they say take the 11th off and go to the car show. nah...
it was more like a free oil change.... which helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Man, doesn't sound like it was your day off! Pretty cool you were able to fix that though!

I hit a deer with my Aviator. Banged up the front bumper, shattered the grille, and twisted up the hood. We were going slow, so no one was hurt. I think the deer even survived! Anyway, I've been looking at what it would cost me to just replace the parts and not get insurance involved. If I want good used parts, just for a hood, I'd be looking at $500, and that's what our deductible is. Guess we're looking at making an insurance claim. It's kind of disappointing for me for it not to make sense for me to fix it, being sort of handy with cars and all. But, we're looking at trading it in, in 6 months, so a half-assed repair isn't going to stand up to the scrutiny of the used car manager. I want to get as much as I can for it, so I don't have to pull as much of the rest of what we owe on it out of the tax refund. We could just keep it, but we pay so dang much for gas with this thing. It requires premium and gets horse-cruddy mileage. Plus, it'll be requiring a crapload of maintenance now that it's turned over 100,000 miles. I'd just as soon not deal with that if I don't have to. It's time to move on.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 am

lucky no one was hurt, that's the most important thing to consider, you'll have to work out the details with the insurance company, at least it would be a solid repair...then it can be nice and shiny and be someone else's problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:01 am

Haha, yep. I'm already drooling over new Fusions and Transit Connects.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, the good news is, I got the other sensor hole drilled. So no machine shop for that. But, the bad news is, I broke the extractor off in the broken bolt hole. Soooooo pretty much looking at taking the head off and taking it to a machine shop for that. I may take the opportunity to upgrade heads, I don't know. Those GT40s sitting ripe for the picking in the junkyard are awfully tempting. Stymee has some 351 interceptor heads for me he'd sell me for cheap too. Don't know. I may take the winter to think about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   

Back to top Go down

2014 Projects Thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next