Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Window Weather Stripping

Go down 
+5
fangar150-ex
Stymees'mont
Revolution909
1980Fairmont
Red 78'
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Red 78'

Red 78'

Window Weather Stripping Empty
PostSubject: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Need new stuff?
Here is what I used complete with pictures and links.
http://myzephyrs.com/weather_stripping.htm

Last edited by Red 78' on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://myzephyrs.com/
1980Fairmont

1980Fairmont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 9:53 pm

What would you use for the sunroof??
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:28 am

Thank you thank you thank you
Back to top Go down
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 4:38 pm

1980Fairmont wrote:
What would you use for the sunroof??

As far as I know, you need to get that from the Mfg of the sunroof.
When my sunroof leaked, it was not from the rubber seal but from under the metal seal to the roof.
Remove the roof and this way you can check both the rubber seal, and the seal under the outer metal strip.
Does that make sense to you?
I don't have any pictures of this, cause I did this back before the internet really existed.

If I would have know back then that documenting the mods I did to my car would have come in useful to others I would have!
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I think 1980Fairmont was asking about the factory original sunroofs not aftermarket. I think the seals where much the same as the trunks. I just dont remember.
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Stymees'mont wrote:
I think 1980Fairmont was asking about the factory original sunroofs not aftermarket. I think the seals where much the same as the trunks. I just dont remember.
In that case, I would look at an end view of the old one, take some measurements LxWxH.
And compare it to the products here. http://www.jcwhitney.com/weatherstripping/c3813j1s17.jcwx?filterid=u0
On that page, click on "Product Details" to see the complete selection of each line.
That is how I found the ones I used.
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:44 am

Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
1980Fairmont

1980Fairmont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:22 pm

When it rains my sunroof leaks on the inside could it be the pipes that transfer the water back out???
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 am

do you have a manual opening sunroof or power.

is the car parked on level ground?

if you have a manual type that just clicks open and then you push it up, these types of sun roof usually only have 2 places to leak. thats the seal for the glass and the seal that goes between the body of the car and the frame of the sunroof.

check the mountings or hinges foe wear, by physically moving the glass, make sure it has a tight fit.

checke the mounting bolts where they fitt into the glass for the hinges & handle, sometimes the rubber gaskets perish.

check the seal in the frame where it meets the glass, is it hard, brittle shrunken or deformed? carefully inspect the glass, if the sunroof is leaking at the seal you should see a pattern on the glass where the water leaks. if you do see what appears to be a leak on the dirt trails of the glass, clean the rubber seal and glass, apply some vaseline to the sealing area and retest, by running water from a hose at low pressure ,if the leak stops, clean or replace the seal.

if the leak has not stopped, you must continue to let the water hose run and using a maglite or other suitable bright bright light locate the leak, if you determine the frame seal is leaking, remove the frame and reseal it. you can use butyl tape to reseal it, but you'll need to roll it out to make it thinner to fit between the frame and the body. i have the ford part# if you need it. don't use rtv sealer!!!

if you have a power sunroof, and the glass has a rubber seal around the outside of the glass, they all leak at the glass, that's just the way it is, and that is why the the drain tubes are fitted.
look at the seal around the sunroof glass, see it it is torn or deformed or a very loose in the frame. does the glass fit in the frame flush? if not adjust it. get a water hose and let it run on the closed sunroof, see where the water is leaking from, it is is coming inside you should be able to see the water trail, if it's coming in from everywhere you can assume the drain hoses are blocked.

to check for blocked drain tubes, open the sunroof, using a pitcher of water, or low pressure water hose slowly pour it into the trough and see if the water drains away or pools, if it pools you know where the problem is, if water drains out from under the car when it drains you can assume the drain tubes are working to spec.

if you find the drain hoses are blocked, i use a old speedometer cable to send down the tubes to act as a drain snake, dont use a coat hanger and it is to rigid and can also puncture to drain hose, dont use high pressure air, as it could blow the hoses off or blow them out. quite often you will find spider webs or bugs in the drain tubes, no big deal.

most sunroof repairs require a bit of patience and a good light source to locate the water trail.

if you have one of those cheapie $199 power sunroofs installed, good luck getting parts, i did one the other day that was only 2 years old and the cable and slide for the left side was damaged-no parts avaialbe, so we sent it to the glass shop to have another one fitted.

manual or power sunroof leaks are usually caused by dirt and dust require cleaning and a coat of vaseline or amor-all on the seals, the bad thing about vaseline is that it attracts dirt and grime, the good thing is that it is a good sealer, armour all is ok to use if the seals are in good condition, but offers very little sealing properties.

sorry its so long, but best to be well armed.

good luck!!
Back to top Go down
lazycat

lazycat

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 11:09 am

Thats an awesome tech tip I just need to get rid of the wind noise mine dont leak but the noise is driving me nuts
Back to top Go down
1980Fairmont

1980Fairmont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 pm

The window channel trim that you have on your website is that the rubber that the window rolls up into?? and if so did 6 ft do both doors??? Because im wanting to order some but i dont kno how much to get. I have to rechannel the whole doors both of them. from all the way down in the door to up and around. also thanks for the stuff about the manual sunroof ill have to go out one day and check all that out cuz i cant put the new headliner in until i find the leak.
Back to top Go down
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 pm

1980Fairmont wrote:
The window channel trim that you have on your website is that the rubber that the window rolls up into?? and if so did 6 ft do both doors???

Yes, that was for the door frame where the window rolls up.
A 6-foot roll would only do 1 door. A 8-foot roll would do 2 doors, except the coupe.
I just checked the latest catalogue and they do not sell that product anymore.
But the measurements are what you need to fit the frame.
Anything smaller will not fit, even if you glue it in.
Back to top Go down
1980Fairmont

1980Fairmont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 am

I was just looking and i found where i can buy the exact came product for my doors. When you put the weather channels in ur car did you have to cut them to make the 90 degree bend at the top corner of the door??? and also did you have to use any glue or adhesive to hold it in and in place??
Back to top Go down
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 am

The way the channel is made holds it in place without adhesive.
This only will work if it is the correct size.
Others who used the incorrect size, and glued them in the channel found out that this would not work.
I do not know if that happend because of the glue used, or the tightness of the glass in the channel.
On one car I did not cut it to make the bend (the coupe), and on another (the 4 door) I notched the corner to make the sharp bend. You will see where when you form the corner. It will pucker out and look like a wrinkle.

Make sure to make the rubber long enough in the door frame, or the glass will try and run next to the rubber channel. I found this out when trying to save material.
Back to top Go down
1980Fairmont

1980Fairmont

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Alright thanks. Sorry for all the questions its just the wind noise in my mont is driving me crazy! lol
Back to top Go down
Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:14 am

I solved the wind noise problem by fitting a different cam, heads, intake, headers, and exhaust, balancing the engine, installing polyurethane engine and trans mounts, removing the rubber at the ends of the trans crossmember and welding in washers, removing all sound deadening, carpet and interior panels, and mounting the rear end on spherical bearings.

Poof! No more wind noise.
Back to top Go down
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:34 am

That will work. But it is more expensive.
Like at least double!
Back to top Go down
bettle66

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone, I new here and was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have a 78 ford fairmont wagon and cant find the weather stripping. Any links or part number. I need the part where the window rolls up to, and the door. thanks

I also want to replace some wiring harness from engine if you guys can help out with that too. I have a 5.0 302
Back to top Go down
GrantBB

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am

bettle66 wrote:
Good Afternoon Everyone, I new here and was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have a 78 ford fairmont wagon and cant find the weather stripping. Any links or part number. I need the part where the window rolls up to, and the door. thanks

I also want to replace some wiring harness from engine if you guys can help out with that too. I have a 5.0 302

So where did you found the weather stripping?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Window Weather Stripping   Window Weather Stripping Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Window Weather Stripping
Page 1 of 1