Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
83zephyrZ7

What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Empty
PostSubject: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 pm

What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr. Im not sure about what parts i need and ive never done anything like this before so i have no idea where to even start? affraid
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 pm

5 lugs are cool, you certainly have more choice of wheels & better brakes, but you need to figure out what you want before jumping in.

vacuum booster brakes or hydra boost
cone & roller bearing frt rotors or radial ball bearings
single piston frt calipers or dual piston
drum or disc rear brakes
vented or solid rear rotors
what type of parking brake do you have, if you have the stock foot style you can use the drum brakes with no problem
disc brake will require different cables and set-up
Back to top Go down
83zephyrZ7

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Im redoing the hole braking system if that makes a difference but what should i go with for your first two question, im not sure which would be better the vaccum booster or hydra and same with the cone and roller bearing or radial ball?
Im also putting a 8.8 in the rear end so ill be going with disk all around.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:30 am

unless you are putiing in a 4.6 , the vacuum brakes are fine. there are loads of different booster & master cylinders to choose from if you want to do a custome job

200 & up use pbr twin piston calipers.

the cone & roller bearings are on the rangers & lincolns, obviously they require adjustments on ocassion, they also have other limitations so far as wheel center fitting the hubs.

if you go radial ball bearings from the 94 -04 mustangs, you must use the whole spindle assy, all you have you do is change the ball joints and mabe add a set of camber caster adjusters. they are maintenance free, very accurate and do not allow the frt rotor to push the pads in during hard cornering.

it may work out cheaper and easier to by a donor mustang, take what you need and sell the rest. that way it wont cost you anything to do the job, and you may make a few bones in the process.

most poeple say the 94/95 are the ones to have, but any 94-04 will do.

there used to be a good site from dugger racing giving a pictorial and parts list, i will try to find it and post it as it has a lot of good info
Back to top Go down
83zephyrZ7

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:11 pm

It sounds like the radial ball bearings are the way to go, i was thinkin about using a
mark VII master cyclinder i heard that would work very well on the zephyr for more fluid and for better braking power. Also if you do find that website PLEASE post it sounds like it could be very helpful.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 am

i found the info in my archive, but the site is closed down, fortunately i copied it and will send it it to you. yeah
back in the day guys were using the lincoln master cylinder, but there are others out there that are better, and smaller, for instance the 97 v-6 master cylinder has a big bore and is compact in design.

send me your email thru pm
Back to top Go down
83zephyrZ7

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:23 am

Well thank you for lookin sir its much appreciated and it sounds like the 97 V-6 is the one to go with if its smaller it would be a better fit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?   What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is all needed to do a 5 lug conversion on my 83 zephyr?
Page 1 of 1