Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Master Cylinder Info Needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

Master Cylinder Info Needed Empty
PostSubject: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 pm

I'm trying to figure out which master cylinder to use with my 4 wheel discs. I've read there's an MC with a 1 1/16" bore and one with a 1 1/8" bore. Does anyone know the cars that used each? or a part number?

Thanks, Don
Back to top Go down
TealP51

TealP51

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:07 am

With your Lincoln Mark VII front calipers and Turbo Coupe rears, you are duplicating the factory '93 Cobra setup. So, use a '93 Cobra master cylinder, gutted Fox Mustang prop valve, and run a Willwood adjustable valve in the rear line. If you can locate a '93 Cobra booster, you will really like it, and it's a bolt-in. If you can't, use a '94-'95 Cobra booster, which is the same except the studs are slightly moved on the can, so you will have to enlarge the holes in the firewall to bolt it in. That's the only difference.

-Mike S.
Back to top Go down
jnorth8

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Your caliper setup is the same as mine. I used a mid 80's Mustang SVO master cylinder. It has the larger bore and fits up directly to the Fairmont power brake booster. It has the same 2 brake lines going to the proportioning valve, although one fitting is a different size. You'll have to gut the proportioning valve and replace the front cap with a solid one (I drilled and tapped the existing plug for a pipe thread plug). I also used a Wilwood adjustable valve, but found that things worked fine with the valve set to wide open (on a Fairmont wagon).

You'll find that new rear caliper flex hoses for a Turbo Coupe are hard to find and expensive. I used left and right flex hoses for rear discs on a 94-95 Mustang; these flex hoses are available, inexpensive and actually fit very well (on a Mustang axle).
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I have '98 Mustang GT front calipers and same 8.8 rear with disc brakes. I also grabed the valve from the '98 Stang ( the one right below the MC) I have all the brake lines complete. What MC and booster should I use ?
The '98 had the Hydro booster that works with the power steering.....I really dont want that set up. I believe I need the '93 or '94-'95 Cobra MC. right? Can I use my stock Booster ?
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'm on the net tonight looking for parts!!

Don
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Why gut a propotioning valve already set up for 4 wheel disc? To make more work for yourself?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
TealP51

TealP51

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:15 am

Because the proportioning valves are set up for specific car/brake/weight distribution applications, and varying from those specifics can throw off the front/rear balance - giving to much or too little bias to the rear brakes.

The adjustable valve allows you to adjust the rear bias so the system gives the best stopping power without locking the rears first, which is dangerous and spooky. You adjust the rear bias until all four wheels lock up at the same time under hard braking, or at least until a panic stop doesn't lock the rears first. It's best to do this in a large parking lot after a rain, so it's wet. That way, you can adjust to lockup without flat spotting the tires.

-Mike S.
Back to top Go down
jnorth8

PostSubject: master cylinder   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 am

Here's a picture of an SVO cylinder in a fairmont, along with a modified cap on the proportioning valve.

Master Cylinder Info Needed Mc11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Master Cylinder Info Needed   Master Cylinder Info Needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Master Cylinder Info Needed
Page 1 of 1