Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm using the LTD tank in my car, so feel free to pick my brain!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 am

ZephyrEFI wrote:
I'm using the LTD tank in my car, so feel free to pick my brain!

Awesome, I know you posted up when I asked about fuel lines on the other board.

What all will I need to make the LTD tank work? Is it just drop the old one and install the new one?
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:01 pm

As far as fitment, yeah! It's the same size and shape. All you should need to do is swap the pumps, like you mentioned. There's a 3rd gen Camaro pump that's supposed to fit better, but I just used a stock '87-93 Mustang pump. You have to shorten the metal lines leading down to the pump on the sender, but not a big deal! Then just make sure you cut enough off the metal line so that the bottom of the pump sits flat. If it's crooked, the intake for the pump may get too close to the bottom of the tank and not be able to pull enough gas.

If you're interested in the Camaro pump, there are threads on FEP that talk about a SEFI swap on an LTD LX that tells which one. I can't remember whose though.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 am

Hey guys, just a couple of questions. I kinda like the ideas you fellas are talking about using the LTD tanks and pump units combinations, however i am unfamiliar with its internals, perhaps you may be of assistance to me and others who may wish to perform this modification.
Is there a sump built into the tank where the pick-up tube for the pump is located. The reason why i ask is you’ll need to prevent the pump from running dry when the level is low and you are cornering. I had this problem when my in-tank sump broke loose and it cost me a new fuel pump.
Secondly what are the resistance values for the fuel sender on the LTD tanks? Is it 15 when the tank is M/T & 160 when full? I know when the early fox added fuel injection, the pump & sender were separate, however in ’99 model year cars they went to the unitized pump & sender module.
Again being unfamiliar with this tank and possible issues with the sender units, would it be possible to fit a sender unit from a later model Town Car to this tank????? I haven't looked up the resistance values for the ltd, perhaps if I have time today I can do that at work.
I'd like to get some time off to work on my car once in a while, but don't feel like pushing the issue at the moment...too much time wouldn't be good either.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:02 pm

It does have a sump. And it's a combination sender and pump.

I don't know the exact resistance values, but i'm pretty sure the existing LTD sending unit works with the stock F/Z gauge. I had to change out the sender to one from an '87-93 car to work with my '87-93 dash & gauge. The sump caused problems for me because the arm is different on the newer style sender and I think mine is stuck on the top of the sump. The gauge is reading way too high. I need to take it all back apart and rebend the arm so it doesn't hit the sump. What a pain. I hate pulling the gas tank. Hopefully you only have to do it once, Mike! I've had my gas tank out what seems like hundreds of times! At first trying to make the Mustang tank fit, and then dealing with little issues like the smaller filler neck on the LTD tank, and the sending unit thing. The first thing I tried was replacing the junkyard sending unit with a new LTD one. My parts store was able to get one pretty easily. Then I found out about the resistance value thing. Argh. Pull the tank out AGAIN.

I'm finding very little time to work on my car too. The wife works all weekend, so I'm on kid duty. And pretty soon, we'll be working on the deck, so I'll have that going for as long as that takes. (sigh)
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Not much has changed, finally getting settled from the move and the craziness that goes with it. The Zephyr is currently residing in my new back yard. Put a new battery and some gas in it, and it drove across town. Man I miss driving it. I've been doing my reading online and in that manual with all the wiring diagrams. Kinda makes my head spin some!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

yeah it did the same to me, but once you actually get stuck in, it goes pretty easily. when you strip the engine and interior, you get motivated to carry on.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Very true John! Alright, so I've been doing a little more research on the LTD gas tank. From what I have gathered I'll need the following:

F2C tank
Filler neck from a LTD or Maquis
Airtex sending unit E2146 then convert to a high pressure fuel pump.

ZephyrEFI, what fuel pump did you end up going with? I'm looking on Rockauto at the "camaro" pumps and not sure exactly. I know on FEP it was a walboro pump that was linked and it costs well over 100 bucks.
Back to top Go down
TealP51

TealP51

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 3:06 am

Seems like only a short while ago since you came here to pick up the front fenders.

-Mike S.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Sorry I haven't answered your question yet. I'm using the stock SEFI Mustang pump. They can definitely be found for less than that. You have to cut the metal outlet pipe on the hanger to make it fit, and be careful not to let it end up crooked on the hanger or else the inlet on the bottom might not have enough room to pull fuel in. it's not hard to do, just cut a little at a time and test fit the rubber hose that comes with the hanger between the pump outlet and the pipe on the hanger so that everything sits nice with no binding.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 10:17 pm

TealP51 wrote:
Seems like only a short while ago since you came here to pick up the front fenders.

-Mike S.
It sure does! How is your Futura doing?

ZephyrEFI wrote:
Sorry I haven't answered your question yet. I'm using the stock SEFI Mustang pump. They can definitely be found for less than that. You have to cut the metal outlet pipe on the hanger to make it fit, and be careful not to let it end up crooked on the hanger or else the inlet on the bottom might not have enough room to pull fuel in. it's not hard to do, just cut a little at a time and test fit the rubber hose that comes with the hanger between the pump outlet and the pipe on the hanger so that everything sits nice with no binding.  
No worries, I haven't had much time to work on the car ayways or get any parts for it. But I'm glad that someone else has done all the leg work and I can take it all and make it work. But I don't mind a little trial and error.

Talked to John the other evening and it's just a matter of figuring out a day for me to come down and get all the mechanicals.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Well one step forward and two back. My Focus was broken into this past weekend, the rear passenger window was busted out and all my things minus the stereo were jacked. Insurance isn't covering a damn thing and I'm on my own to fix and replace everything. The cheapest I've found the window for is 150 bucks. Also a really bad vibration has appeared upon warm up, then it gets worse when it's put into reverse and the wheels are turned to the left. Once the car is warmed up and driven it's fine. I'm just over having to fix the damn thing!  pale 

Anyways..!

Not much to report with the Zephyr. The 302 and everything else are just awaiting a day for the tired 2.3 to be removed. I have all the wiring and stuff either in the trunk or back seat. I'm tired of not having time and energy to work on it. I need to make a trip to the junk yards to see if I can find me a gas tank out of an LTD of Marquis. I have this vision of a 100% factory looking Zephyr, with only "factory" upgrades that will shock the crap out of the rice rockets. The won't see it coming, even with the white walls!

Have a good Christmas everyone and hopefully 2014 is better to all of us!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Bummer. I approve of your plan for the zeph though!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Remember Grasshopper, patience is a Virtue, desired by many and possessed by few. All will come in good time.
that must be a hard thing to digest, not taking the stereo, I thought you were in a nice area.
if you get a window from the yards, make sure you get the plastic two piece window retainer. you'll need to punch the center piece out to get the larger piece out, then the window will come out.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 1:57 am

Got the Focus fixed, it was around 80 bucks for a new "made in the USA" window from rock auto. That site is beyond amazing when it comes to finding parts. Anywho...I also think I figured out the vibration. Have a good hunch it's power steering related.

I've had a lot going on recently and needed some stress relief. I yanked out my old dash and had fun doing it. The deviant wheels were turning in my head again, I guess it all apart of the hobby!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 am

I'm glad you are getting on with your project, once you get to cracking the whip, it's going to be hard to stop. keep all the old parts in case you need a piece or two.

do all the boring dumb-stuff first, plennum, heater core, shifter hole, parking brakes, wiring, console alignment, fuel lines etc. are you going to change the carpet?

what are you doing for a fuel tank/pump unit?
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 pm

You're lucky you CAN work on it. I need a bunch of new parts I currently can't afford to do anything with mine. Plus I'd have to brave the RIDICULOUS cold we've been having this year.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 pm

cold weather; that sucks, I'm looking at around 80f or so, now I have to replace the a/c compressor on the Taurus, the pulley bearing took a dump.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 2:17 am

Does it whine? My Aviator always made this loud whine, I always assumed it was the ol' Ford loud power steering pump, but it turned out to be a stupid idler pulley!
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:26 am

I haven't gotten to the carpet point yet, I'm not sure if the carpet you gave me will fit or not. Since I'm not sure if the Futura and 4dr share the same interior floor dimensions. Plus I have yet to pull the rear seat to see. Will be doing that today to get the last of the wiring harness out of the way.

I'm going to go with the F2C tank and hanger assembly and use a higher power pump in the hanger. Still need to make a trip to the junk yard to get a few things (including the tank and neck).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.   Hey everyone! I'm still kicking. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone! I'm still kicking.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast :: Message Board-
Jump to: