Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Suspension Survey

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

Suspension Survey Empty
PostSubject: Suspension Survey   Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 10:38 am

What do you guys use for shocks and springs in your F/Zs, and how satisfied are you with how it rides?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
fangar150-ex

Suspension Survey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Survey   Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Well; that’s a good question. I have some “cargo” springs on the rear of the car, they are not too high, but are progressive in the spring rate, they doo have a tendency to wear thru the lower isolator/insulator cups, this is my second set of insulators on the same springs. I think they may do them for your boxtop as well. They are not too harsh, but firm.

I have tried the 4 cyl mustang front springs, because I had some laying around, they weren’t what I was looking for, so I went back to the v-8 springs. I don’t know what v-8 they came out of, if it was the mustang or Fairmont as they are supposed to be the same… and at the time I had so much mustang stuff laying around, I just labeled it v8 or v6 or 4 cyl.

I tried a set of used tokiko’s up front but they popped after a few months, didn’t really notice any difference, I thought it would as they came off a Cobra., that could also be due to the terrain I was driving on also, so I went to the ford shocks, they lasted quite a while, then one took a dump, I replaced it with one from Gabriel, because it was cheaper, it has lasted quite a while, now the l/s/f shock has shot its load, its gotta wait. Both rear shocks were from the AutoZone or sears store for a Fairmont/mustang, same shock??, they seemed ok, but both have pooped-out.

I would not recommend putting rear shocks off of a grand marquis or town car, because when you throw the anchor on really tight, the trunk lid tries to pass the hood ornament.

There is an assortment of sway bars available to play around with for frt and rear.

I don’t have much travel on my frt suspension, maybe it’s the combo of crap that we cobbled together over the years, but when all the shocks are in good condition, it does give a nice firm ride.

I’m getting ready to do it over again, so I’ll probly go with whatever NAPA sells, as our dealership owns the local CRAPPA store, therefore making repair parts super cheap and most of it has a lifetime warranty.

But I will uses a set of frt springs out of a 97 mustang GT to see how they feel/operate…..they are almost new.

I think the most noticeable and effective upgrade I did in the beginning with the Fairmont was the addition mustang upper and lower control arms and rear sway bar. That got rid of a lot of the body roll that Fairmont’s are famous for. My rear control arm bushings were pretty worn-out, and as I had parts lying around…..i am not changing bushings. It was later that I changed the rear springs.

Having said so, I seem to remember the rear lower control arm bushings on the Fairmont were round, and the ones off the mustang were oblong. No difference noted in lenghts.

One would assume the fox body mustang lower kit would work fine on your Fairmont, I seem to remember that they offered the same spring kit for a Fairmont. Call them, they will always assist.

good luck.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

Suspension Survey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Survey   Suspension Survey Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be making some phone calls. I want to get my car weighed too and see if i can get springs and shocks set up to work with those weights. The handling on my car is okay, but the ride is unacceptably harsh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
Sponsored content

Suspension Survey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension Survey   Suspension Survey Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspension Survey
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast :: Tech Info :: Tech Info-
Jump to: