Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

New to Fairmonts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bdodge

New to Fairmonts Empty
PostSubject: New to Fairmonts   New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 am

My Grandpa gave me his 1980 fairmont shortley before he passed. The car had not been running for 16 years and he told me that it "sure would be fun to see something made of that car". I got the car running well enough for him to start it up and drive it around the yard before time ran out. This was about couple years ago and I have not been around to finish the project. I've been doing some searching and have found bits and pieces of information but nothing solid. My question is what do I need to drop in a 302? I have the I6 I know I need f-150 motor mounts and to trim the k member, but I want a 5-speed out of a mustang too, is the crossmember for that the same? What else is there that I need?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have also heard that if you use the I6 K-member you need a double hump oil pan to clear is that correct?
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

New to Fairmonts Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Fairmonts   New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 8:37 am

look in the photo section, find "engine swap is done", theres a guy called revovution909 who did an engine swap to a 6 banger k-member and has done a great photo documentary.

yes you need a fox body oil pan, they are available at jegs or summit, you may need the oil pick up tube also. save yourself some time and ass-ache by fitting a 1 piece oil pan gasket.

you should be able to use your old crossmember.

good luck.
Back to top Go down
bdodge

New to Fairmonts Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Fairmonts   New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks a lot for the info!
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

New to Fairmonts Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Fairmonts   New to Fairmonts Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 am

Welcome to the site! The 5L 5speed swap is easy, but to do it the way I did you will need a welder or someone to weld for you, becuase I cut the trans cross member in three pieces, and moved the center section back so the tranny could bolt up, and then I tacked it together. Then I welded it all up. I used the cross member off of the T-Bird that I pulled my engine from, I just cut down the ends where it fits into the mounts. The double hump cross member seems to be twice as wide.

I saw somewhere else someone bolted the cross member to the back of the mounts so it was only in on one side, and its possible to cut the tranny mounts out of a mustang and weld them on to your fairmont, which I did on my other car, and was a big pain in the ass.

If you dont have a welder it could be more of a pain, but maybe someone else has done it an easier way. I didnt have a welder with my first car, I just borrowed a friends, but now I use one I bought for $200 at a store here on sale, its made in china and can be a pain in the ass, but it works..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to Fairmonts Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Fairmonts   New to Fairmonts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Fairmonts
Page 1 of 1