Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

which steering rack to use?

Go down 
    3 posters
    AuthorMessage
    mastergone

mastergone

which steering rack to use? Empty
    PostSubject: which steering rack to use?   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Finally got the right spindles yesterday. Put them in and of course had to track down the spacers. I installed bump steer eliminator kit from competition engineering. Went to connect the tie rod ends and they are way too long. Can't thread them in any further. Got severe toe out. Any ideas? Thought to switch to a mustang rack but they looked the same to me. hmmm Sad
    Back to top Go down
    fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: which steering rack to use?   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 pm

i used an 86 svo steering rack from napa, it hs a good turning responce like 3 turns lock to lock i think i used 93 mustang tie rod ends, i also used mac camber caster adjusters.or so. you may need to take a trip to your local parts store for the tie rod ends, but im almost certain i used the mustang ones, they are way different than the ones i had on the fairmont from stock.
    Back to top Go down
    Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: which steering rack to use?   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 11:20 am

The Flaming River manual rack I bought was too wide as well, so I cut off some of the inner tie rods to allow my outer tie rod ends to have enough adjustment.....like an 1 1/4" I took off each side.
    Back to top Go down
    http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
    fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: which steering rack to use?   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 8:34 pm

kinda makes you wonder if the steering parts were from a 94 & up mustang, i think these were wider than the fox, i believe i tried a 2000 rack yonks ago, i think it was wider or leaked, i cant remember, but there was an issue. i got a feeling a lot of these parts are for the 94 & up. what did you find with the ball joints, were they correct or were the spindles incorrect? it can be frustrating when building these cars up, so many things fit, but when something goes wrong-it can be for a number of reasons.
    Back to top Go down
    Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: which steering rack to use?   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Most if not all tubular K-member's with their tubular A-arms are set up for the SN95 Stangs.
    I had to use matching ball joints and outer tie rod ends with the '98 GT spindles I used, and the flaming River rack was set up for the '98 GT...why it was too wide not sure, but I cut it down and it works great.
    Back to top Go down
    http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
    mastergone

mastergone

PostSubject: re: steering rack   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:31 am

Thanks guys, great info turns out the new rack was the wrong one. The latest one is for 1993 mustang gt, a much better fit this time.
    Plus the first rack started leaking around the inner tie rods. The spindles finally came around,after getting the correct ones. Of course my ten holes slightly rub the outer pad. I guess when I was horse trading for other parts, I had gotten rid of another set of ten holes and I ended up with two different pairs 5 series and 7 series. Then I have to address the sway bar mods, I guess most after market k-frames forget to tell you about the interference with the struts. But it is moving along again, also have mod the front fenders too. Will try and post some more pics as it progresses. Got to head to work to pay for this. Cool

masterg1
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which steering rack to use?   which steering rack to use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which steering rack to use?
    Page 1 of 1