Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Sanding on the Zephyr.

Go down 
+4
Revolution909
detroitiron2000
Red 78'
fox81
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fox81

Sanding on the Zephyr. Empty
PostSubject: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 pm

I've gotten pretty ambitious over the past couple weekends and have gotten my Zephyr to this point. It's almost all sanded and the body work will start up pretty soon. The only thing that I've come across is the passenger door has a decent section of bondo on it. Not sure how thick it is cause I haven't pulled the door panel to see the damage on the inside yet. Anyways here are a couple of pictures. Oh and does anyone reproduce the clips that hold on the door sill trim? Cause I broke a few of mine.

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4292

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4291
Back to top Go down
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Once you get this far, you want to get it completed. Good work!
In case I missed it, what colors (colors) are you going to paint it?

That bondo section looks like its where the brace is on the inside.
You can't get to it to pound it out.

Keep posting the pictures!
Back to top Go down
http://myzephyrs.com/
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Holy sanding job Batman!! Looking good.

I really wish I had a talent for bodywork but I've never had a chance to learn or even experiment really. I have this STRANGE desire to do a custom Aerostar though and they're about $10 a pop if they're rusted so I've been thinking about picking one up after I get my Fairmont back together and just hacking away at it as a tool to learn how ot do welding, sanding, painting, straightening, etc.

Looks good! I'm also interested in color choice!

Don
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Looks great man! Looks kinda like my 4 door does currently, just more together LOL. ♠️ I too would like to know what color you are painting it. Are you planning to keep it stock, or ?

Keep up the good work bro.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks guys! I've been putting off working on it for to long now. But yeah I can't stop now I'm to far in to it to stop.

Well for the paint...I'm gunna give the roller paint job a try. The color is "Smoke Grey" and its pretty close but darker than the factory color. Then I'm gunna paint it black between the wheels. I hope it turns out as good as its in my head!!
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:22 am

Nice! I too want to paint the wagon alittle darker grey, like a gunmetal grey.

I'm very interested in the roller paint job, I am considering doing mine with a roller, becuase some of those paint jobs look great!.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Heres an update, I spent pretty much my entire weekend working on the Zephyr. Despite it being windy I got some primer on the exposed metal and still have a few spots I missed. But I did lay some rattle can down on it, I painted the tail light panel and cowl plus I painted the wiper arms. My "ES" look is getting there, I also put some different hub caps I had on it. With the cooler weather starting to appear I want to start driving it again so I put most of it back together. I still need to finish the tail lights and do some brake work to make it road worthy again. Now on to the pictures!!

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4309

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4308

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4310

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4319

Here is one of the color choice, I found it in a rattle can and sprayed some on the old fender:

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4318
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 am

Looks good bro! I think the color is going to look great on there, are you gonna spray it? If so, are you rattle canning it?

I really gotta finish my wagon too... I've been to lazy lol.
Back to top Go down
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Looking really good!! I like the color. What other colors have you considered?

Keep us posted please!
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:32 am

Thanks guys for the word of encouragement. I do what I can when I can with the supplies I got.

Well I still want to give the roller job a try but I still need to do more body work. Fill in the holes on the fenders and bondo any dents. Plus I still need to go over it with a 400 grit then proceed from there, I just haven't had the time/engergy after work to go to any auto body supply shops to get the rest of the materials I need. But once I do I'll go to town and get her ready to paint. But if the roller job fails I might rattle can it or just take it to Macco. Not sure yet. As for color choice thats pretty much it unless something else catches my eye.
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Shoot, I forgot you already told me that LOL.... sorry. Smile I think the roller job will look great with a bit of work(sanding/buffing). At least thats what I have seen on the net.

I like the color, its like what I was thinking for the wagon, now I will have to find something else Wink hehe
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 10:41 pm

I did a little more work today but not a whole lot. I painted my tail lights black to go with my wanna be ES look. With the help of my dad we fixed the torsion bars so now my trunk stays open with out the use of my prop. I also cleaned the junk out of it to.

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4321

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4322
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 am

Nice! I love the lights too, they look great, I guess I will have to do mine as well... What did you use to paint the lenses???
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 10:35 pm

For the tailing panel I used plain old Rustoleum and for the housing I used Krylon Fusion. Its supposed to be made for plastics, I picked it cause I knew it had a glossy finish and the Rusto would be flat. I wanted to off set them a little bit.

Now, this what I did today. I put brand new brakes on her! After a couple miss haps during the test run its now ready to return to the road. The brake pedal is nice and firm and it doesn't go to the floor, yay! Now here are a few pictures, I even put the ten holes on it just for kicks. Still need to refinish them....

Yeah I know the shocks look like crap, they are the next thing to get replaced.

My mom said this picture makes the Zephyr look like the ones in the junkyards
Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4325

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4324

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4327

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4335

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4328
Back to top Go down
z7turbo

z7turbo

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:35 am

Looks good!
Back to top Go down
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 am

Wow...really moving along nicely. I"m stuck on mine because I'm STILL working on my son's Z28...most difficult car I've ever worked on.

Once his car is done I'm jumping on mine.

Don
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Looks dope bro! Almost looks like my 4 door. Execpt the front fender has tan with primer lol
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Dang its been awhile since I updated this.....

I've been pretty lazy as of late so not much has been done to it. I do try and drive it at least once a week to keep things fresh. But I'm literally two pieces away from having everything I need for the interior, and would have had them today but I didn't have an allen wrench big enough to get the stupid seat belt bolts loose. Oh well, I'll have to borrow one from my dad and hope that car is still there next week. I also plan on getting some more painting supplies so I can finish the body work and get some paint on it. If all goes as plan I *hope* to have it almost done by the spring car show season so I can put it in a local show.
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Your seat bolts are allen heads? Mine are all torqs(Spelling?)...

No pics?
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Revolution909 wrote:
Your seat bolts are allen heads? Mine are all torqs(Spelling?)...

No pics?

Well they are torques but I don't have one anywhere near that big. Hmmm...that'll give me an excuse to goto Sears.

Oh heres a picture of the parts, I also scored an air dam in perfect shape.

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4361

And heres some I took when I went out for a Christmas day cruise.

Sanding on the Zephyr. 100_1908

Sanding on the Zephyr. 100_1909
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Looks pretty darn nice out there... I wish thats what it looked like on Christmas here... lol

That air dam looks very nice, I dont have one for either of my cars... Both were owned by old people that liked hitting things... I guess lol.
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Well since the "Fords on Forth" show is in like...2 weeks I'm going to kick ass and try and get most of the interior done. Still need to find some good B-pillar trim but I can deal for now. Anyways...I found the perfect red paint, its a tad lighter but has a real nice satin finish. So I got ambitious and pulled the rear part of my interior and got to painting. I also painted some of the newer interior pieces I have as well. I got two of the hubcaps painted the "gloss smoke gray" that will be going on the body.

Here are a few pics.

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4405

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4406

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4409

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4410

MMMMMM sun fade:

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4408

So thats my update for the moment...more to come this weekend!! (it the weather holds)
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:22 am

Well I was able to get what I wanted done yesterday. Since today its raining that'll put a stop on anymore work. But here are a few pictures...the lighting is pretty crappy. Turns out I'll need to replace a few more pieces that I originally planned on but for now I'll make due with what I've got.

Some of the plastics were oxidized more than I expected.
Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4413

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4416

Sanding on the Zephyr. IMG_4419

Those are the ones that turned out, and the only ones that shows the red good enough. Also it looks wayyy better in pictures that it does in person.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 am

looks nice, stop running your work down!
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Looks real nice! Did you use that spray from later model resto? I need to do my wagos interior this summer too, its brutal... lol Does anyone make carpets for them still?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sanding on the Zephyr.   Sanding on the Zephyr. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sanding on the Zephyr.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next