Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

pull in the bumpers

Go down 
+4
Aug
z7turbo
Stymees'mont
eignub
8 posters
AuthorMessage
eignub

eignub

pull in the bumpers Empty
PostSubject: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:47 pm

how would i go about pulling the bumpers in tighter so they dont stick out so far? i've seen it done plenty of times, and got some ideas of my own, but wanted to know the best way of doing it.
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 10:27 pm

find the straightest place to make a square cut. Cut the amount out and wield back together. Polish it up..
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
eignub

eignub

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:30 am

i mean closer to the center of the car, not narrower. if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
z7turbo

z7turbo

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 1:02 am

you can make your own shorter bumper to frame mounts
Back to top Go down
Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 pm

I think those mounts are telescopic, with rubber in there to provide friction but to allow sliding under extreme forces. If you were to figure out a cotrollable way to apply said extreme forces, you could probably just push them together.

Later,
Mike
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 6:09 pm

what; you mean like put the bumper up against a slid structure or wall & use the accelerator sparingly?
Does this require any welding afterwards?
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Ok,
Do you see how they go together ? or Have you had them apart before ?
The plate on the bumper can be remade or make a spacer to move the mounting plate into the bumper. This will make the bumper tuck into the body more when you bolt the bumper to the frame mounts.
Hope this helps..not sure how to make it more clear with out pictures and stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm

The bumper has shock-like cylinders behind it. DO NOT push up against a solid structure, you will bend the bumper.

As I understand it, one way is to drill a small hole in the smaller diameter portion of the shock and then compress it until the bumper is where you want it then you have to plug the hole. I've been told that using a small sheet metal screw with a rubber washer under the head will work.

I HAVE NOT tried this yet as I am taking the route of altering the plates that hold the bumper as I want the bumper shocks to work in case of an accident.

Don
Back to top Go down
Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 pm

By controllable, I meant to remove the unit, and place it in a press of some sort, and apply actual controlled force. If they are like the bumper mounts on a '77 T-bird, they are simply two steel tubes with rubber between them. I'd say to take some bumper mounts off of a junker to try it, then install the modified mounts on your car if it worked.
Back to top Go down
fasfivo

fasfivo

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 9:32 am

On the back of mine, I drilled a hole in the tube, then compressed the shock - like stated above. On the front, I was able to just slide the bumper mounts further back into the framerails. There is a tab or "stop" inside the frame rails that I knocked down, then just reinstalled the front bumper further back. I just drilled a new hole in the framerail to hold the bumper mounts. If I remember correctly, I moved the front and rear bumpers both in about 2.5". Just a warning on the front, if you do this, your front valance won't look right because it sticks out too far. I ended up removing mine and used a modified Aerostar airdam under the bumper. It's not a perfect fit, but looks acceptable. You'll also have to be careful your bumper doesn't rub on the A/C condensor.
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 9:14 am

Stymees'mont wrote:
Ok,
Do you see how they go together ? or Have you had them apart before ?
The plate on the bumper can be remade or make a spacer to move the mounting plate into the bumper. This will make the bumper tuck into the body more when you bolt the bumper to the frame mounts.
Hope this helps..not sure how to make it more clear with out pictures and stuff.

Sweet! Thats a good idea! I cant believe I didnt even think of doing that.... Shoot, I cant wait to put my car back together now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pull in the bumpers   pull in the bumpers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pull in the bumpers
Page 1 of 1