Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Boxtop delimma

Go down 
+5
Futurama
detroitiron2000
bigblockcowboy
z7turbo
fox81
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 7:15 pm

So I was at a local pick apart and came across this 81 boxtop. Its missing its hood and the top half of the engine. The guy at the yard will let it go for 300 bucks but it had a "dismantled title". He says once proven streetable a normal title will be issued for it. For the most part its complete and pretty much damage free. If you are wondering I got the dash pad from it. Also If I don't get I'll go back for the bumpers.

Boxtop delimma IMG_4198

Boxtop delimma IMG_4199

Boxtop delimma IMG_4200
Back to top Go down
z7turbo

z7turbo

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 am

man, that thing is clean!
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:18 am

Yeah it is. Along with 95% of the cars that are in there.

If I remember right, the odo said 89,XXX and pretty sure thats the milage. What do you guys think? Yes or no?

My biggest thing is getting it home and convincing my dad to let me keep it. Since he's not a big fan of old cars sitting in the yard.
Back to top Go down
bigblockcowboy

bigblockcowboy

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Get it anyway, tell him you are building it for him. Of course tell him that AFTER it's in the yard lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:59 am

Holy crap! That thing needs to be saved!!! It is soooo clean and would make an awesome street brawler. SAVE IT!!
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 am

Thinking......thinking....That car is to nice and clean to see the crusher. Plus the boxtop is the rarer of the Fairmonts. UGH!!

I'm leaning towards yes on it right now. But the biggest thing is getting it home. There is no way I could use the F350 so I'll have to use the old Bronco. The getting a car trailer is another task. Oh man.....
Back to top Go down
bigblockcowboy

bigblockcowboy

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Does Uhaul still rent those two wheeled car dollies? You could easily tow it with a Bronco that way.
Back to top Go down
Futurama

Futurama

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 pm

bigblockcowboy wrote:
Does Uhaul still rent those two wheeled car dollies? You could easily tow it with a Bronco that way.
they dont anymore in texas.
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 1:09 am

So I just went on uhauls site and a car dolly is 45 bucks to rent. Not sure of the rental terms but I think thats an okay price.
Back to top Go down
bigblockcowboy

bigblockcowboy

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Definitely a good price if you can get one
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Go get the dollies, pick up the car, and if Dad says no way, put in storage some where. Theres places all over if you look for cheap.
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 am

I'm leaning towards dragging this one home. My folks won't be to happy but they can deal with it for a short time. Since I think I can store it at a friends house. Well I gave my friend a call and he's got an elk hunt this weekend. He said any other time would be fine though. Do you guys think I should wait until next weekend? I just don't want to walk in there and see it stripped. Also how hard would it be to do it by myself?
Back to top Go down
bigblockcowboy

bigblockcowboy

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 2:03 am

If you get tires on it and you got a cable or chain come-a-long, as long as you can get the dolly in line with the car, you should have no trouble doing this yourself. I've done it myself more than once, with much heavier cars. Bring that ol girl home, and give'er a second chance at life!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 9:32 am

dont worry about the salvage/dismantled title, they are only interested in safety items, it takes about an hour and 50 bones. after the inspection the car will have a restored salvage title, this will enable you to get insurance & tags. it in no way influences the value of the vehicle for insurance purposes in case your vehicle is involved in an accident. BUT... keep EVERY reciept for any of your cars and your mods that you make. when my wifes car got wacked out in frt of the house, they only wanted to give me 2700 bones for the write-off. i spent days calling california getting reciepts for the engine and other accesories. they will only accept proper reciepts, but if you do the labor, they dont pay you labor costs. basically GIECO raped me. they could see the car was not in it's original state, but paid it's so-called street value. it costs me a hell of a lot more than that to repair it. but it's my wifes car, and she likes it, so end of story.
go for it, bring it home, DO IT, be a rebel. think of the resposibility of knowing that everybody will know you are letting another Fairmont go to the crusher to be used for making foriegn cars.
you can only redeem yourself by displaying a photo of this box top next to your current car posted on this site!!!
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:27 am

Don't get me started on Geico. Not a big fan of them. Anyways, yeah I'm in no rush trying to get it back on the road. Just to much going on to try and take on project #2. Gunna make the Zephyr "restored" and go from there. Plus me insuring just my Focus is bad enough, I got luck and my dad took the insurance over on the Zephyr. So since the boxtop will be unregistered I won't have to worry about.

So this weekend was a no go. I'm being stuck helping out with some other stuff. So next Saturday should be inline. My friend will be back in town and he said he'll give me a hand. Plus it will give me some time to get a trailer reserved. I'll keep everyone updated. Lets just hope everything works out fine.
Back to top Go down
TealP51

TealP51

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 am

Another vote for get it!

One day they will be gone for good from the cheapie yards, and sooner than you think.

-Mike S.
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Yeah thats what I'm afraid of. As we all know the Fairmont is on the brink of extinction and finding another boxtop is getting harder and harder. So I'm gunna pull the trigger and pull this one back from the dead. Even if its just sitting in my yard, its better than going the way of another Honda.

The soonest I can get back to that yard is Wednesday, I'm gunna talk to the guy that runs it and see if I can buy it then have them pull it out of the "parts" section. So I know it will be safer than being out for parts. I just hope its still in one piece.....
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm sorry guys but I failed. I got tied up at work all week and couldn't make it back. I went there this morning and the row the mont was sitting in was filled with new cars. I walked around hoping the moved it but they didn't. I feel horrible that I didn't act fast enough to save it..... Embarassed Sad Sad pale Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
bigblockcowboy

bigblockcowboy

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Dang that sucks! Oh well, at least you tried.
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:22 pm

Dont let it get you down bro, atleast you tried. Did you get some parts off of it for your Z? Sometimes some must die so others may live....
Back to top Go down
fox81

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 am

Plenty of fox cars haven given up the ghost so mine can live and this wasn't one that had to die. Sadly I couldn't save the bumpers since they wouldn't fit in my Focus...but!!! It did have a super nice dash pad! Only has a few issues with the center speaker grill and I paid only 20 bucks for it. Very Happy So a little bit of that box top will live on in my Zephyr.....
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:47 am

I sure would love some bumpers... lol Damn being broke!

20 bucks for a dash pad kicks ass... Both of mine are f-ed up lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boxtop delimma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boxtop delimma   Boxtop delimma Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boxtop delimma
Page 1 of 1