Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Lowering motor mount questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aug

Aug

motor - Lowering motor mount questions Empty
PostSubject: Lowering motor mount questions   motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Hey, all.

I have an interesting question. I'll start with a little background.

In my original car, the '79 2-door sedan with factory 302 and 4-speed, the original motor mounts let the oil pan rub on the power steering rack. I replaced them thinking that they were worn out, but the new stock mounts did the same thing. After rubbing a hole in the power cylinder part of the rack (very exciting on an autocross course when you lose steering boost at exactly the same moment that the rear tires get power steering fluid all over them), I replace them with Prothane polyurethane mounts, which raised the engine about 1 3/4 inches. I used the same engine/trans/drivetrain in the '80 2-door sedan that originally came with a 6/4-speed. I used a '90 5.0 Mustang K member.

The problem I have now is that the back of the transmission points at the ground, and so does the pinion. Those of you that know of drivetrain vibrations know that this is a bad, bad thing. My initial thought was to raise the trans some, and I made some solid mounts for the tranny crossmember and added a polyurethane trans mount to that effect, but it didn't help. I also thought it would be cool to cut some height out of the motor mounts, and maybe get the engine down at least an inch, but that can't happen due to the design of the mounts.

My question is this: Do any of you know of a polyurethane motor mount that lowers the engine an inch or so? I could go solid, but I'd like to avoid it. If I needs to, I needs to, but poly would be better.

Later,
Mike.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Lowering motor mount questions   motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 am

it's kinda difficult to envision your exact problem, but i do remember some chatter about using mustang convertible motor mounts. im sure you could find these at auto zone, checkers etc....this is supposed to lower the engine to give a lower center of gravity.
so far as the trans mount is concerned, any work on this would be useless untill youy get the engine set where you want it.
what kid of rack are you using, i've had 2 or 3 different ford racks in mine, none of them were rubbing on the oil pan, im using an 86 svo rack at the moment, and there is no difference using the stock fairmont motor mounts.
have you got an aftermarket oil pan? i know some of theose chinese replicas dont always gel. ive never tried milodon or anything else, because im too tight, and i dont have the horsepower!
Back to top Go down
TealP51

TealP51

PostSubject: Re: Lowering motor mount questions   motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Suggested course of action:

1) Reinstall stock type motor mounts, or poly replacements for same that do not raise the engine.

2) Install spacers/shims between the mounts and the block, increasing thickness until the engine clears the rack.

-Mike S.
Back to top Go down
Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: Lowering motor mount questions   motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know when I get it figured out.

Do any of you have recommendations for good lowering solid mounts?
Back to top Go down
Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: Lowering motor mount questions   motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 am

According to a tech at Maximum Motorsports, the Prothane polyurethane motor mounts are made wrong, which will cause them to raise the engine about an inch to an inch and a half over stock or Energy Suspension's mounts. I have acquired some Energy Suspension motor mounts, and will be doing some careful comparison of the mounts out of the car, and some careful measurement before and after installation. I'll post the results.

Later,
Mike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering motor mount questions   motor - Lowering motor mount questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lowering motor mount questions
Page 1 of 1