Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Cluster and Instrument panel mod.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fox81

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Empty
PostSubject: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:50 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of where to mount my gauges. I thought about under the radio or possible that panel that covers the one over the glove box. But with all those you have to look down or away from the road, plus they aren't in your line of sight. I initially wanted them in the dash and thats where they will be. Don't worry I didn't hack up my original cluster or panel, those are extras I got from the junkyard. I still haven't done the one I'm actually gunna use. So no loss if I screw them up. So here is a write up of how I did it. It's fairly simple and took me a couple of hours to do. I'm still trying to get a good flat black paint that won't scuff, also trying to figure out how to get some "chrome" on it.

First off the type of gauges I used are the Equus 1.5", I'll be using the same brand tach.

To mod the panel you need to decide where you want them. I tried to center mine the best I could. They weren't so center after I was done. But again this is a test panel. All you need a 1.5" hole saw and a good sharp file. Since the hole say cuts it right at 1.5" you need the hole just a hair bigger. So just a little filing and they fit just perfect. After you drill those holes out you will need to mod the cluster.

The cluster comes apart fairly easily, a few screws and the face is off. Next you will want to remove the fuel gauge and the speedo. Then you'll want to remove the printed circuit board and anything else that easily comes off. After mine was apart I gave it a cleaning. Now you have just a plain cluster housing. Next you will have to remove the piece that would house the idiot lights for the Mustangs. All you need is a good sharp hack saw. The removal of this took me only a few minuets.

After thats all said and done you can put the cluster back together, at this point you may want to install some after market speedo and fuel gauges. Thats up to you.

Now is time for the test fit. Mine fit just fine and had a slight clearance issue with the bottom gauge but a little more work and it will be just fine. So I hope this helps put any doubt out of your mind if you were thinking of doing this but to worried to do it. Pictures are below and they follow in the order if the steps I wrote.

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4072

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4112

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4115

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4121

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4125

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4136

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4137

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4140

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4142
Back to top Go down
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Looks good! How are you going to introduce the chrome?

Don
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Well I bought a can of Rustoleum Chrome paint. I tried masking and just spraying the trim. It didn't work so well...I may have to end up brushing it on the trim edges.
Back to top Go down
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:06 pm

I found a site that sells all kinds of cool vinyl sheeting. I plan to cover mine in some of that. I'm still stumped on the bright trim too though. I want a brushed aluminum look. I may just cut pieces to shape, brush them, and apply with epoxy or if the piece is large enough, small screws for a more mechanical look. Or I gess another alternative would be to use an alternative vinyl but applying that would get tedious.

For those wanting to spend a few bucks, these are really cool:

http://mc-machine.com/mcm_joom/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Don
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:36 pm

I have been working on some "KITS" for our cars. I have endless choices of options for you to pick from. I am working on making it easy for any one to do for their car and also for some real custom panels to have them sent to me and I can do them as well.
If you or anyone is interested just let me know, I am working on a sample set now to show.
Back to top Go down
http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Stymee - post up some pics, would love to see them. Start a new thread when you do!!!

Don
Back to top Go down
fox81

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Well I finally have a couple of days off. So I picked up a can better spray paint. It was the "Krylon Fusion For Plastic", it gave the panel a more glossy finish which is kinda nice. Plus it didn't want scratch/scuff as easy. I think I've decided to scrap the idea of trying to paint on any type of chrome, way to much work and very tedious. What I'll try and do is mask off the "chrome" on the panel I will use and hope that the tape doesn't pull it off. Anyways, I pulled my extra dash out of the shed and decided to do a test fit of it all. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to fit, but it fits just fine. No clearance issues with gauges or anything. I'll keep everyone updated when I figure out what I want to do with the panel. Here are some pics....

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4143

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4145

Cluster and Instrument panel mod. IMG_4147
Back to top Go down
Red 78'

Red 78'

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Just use a silver paint pen for the trim. My 78 did not have chrome trim.
The silver was all painted on from the factory. I have had to redo it over the years.
This included the trunk emblems.

Other colored pens work great for touch ups.
Testor's makes them and can be found at hobby shops. Or you can find other brands at Michaels.
Back to top Go down
http://myzephyrs.com/
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 pm

detroitiron2000 wrote:
Stymee - post up some pics, would love to see them. Start a new thread when you do!!!

Don

I will post some pic's. It will be some time before I have a working kit. Ask Bigblockcowboy, I get very busy all the time with a business to run and another full time job.....and all the other things I do to fill in time. No rest for the wicked !
Back to top Go down
detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Wicked? You? Okay, I'll buy it lol!

I bought up three panels including one that is from the GT and it looks like an aircraft panel. I'm thinking about layering carbon fiber with aluminum trim but before going to all that trouble I want to see what you pull together. WHo knows?

Thanks for doing this!

Don
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Thats cool, I do have a Mustang panel to also make a panel kit for too. I also have some plans for panel kits for other area of the interior to match.
Back to top Go down
Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:03 am

It will not be long, today I went to an ALL FORD bone yard and found me some dash panels to work with.
I also found maybe 10-15 F/Z's there and 100 Mustangs. Can't say they are all or if many are worth fixing up. Some have good parts on them but most of the popular stuff is already gone. Like tail lights, smooth bumpers, etc. There is a good chance I did not see all the cars, there is 1200 cars / trucks there and all hiden in trees and behind huge walls of stacked cars. I will need a couple more weekends to see them all. This place only crushed 2 cars last year when the price of steel was way high, so he wont be crushing any time too soon.

So the dash panel kits will be in the works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cluster and Instrument panel mod.   Cluster and Instrument panel mod. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cluster and Instrument panel mod.
Page 1 of 1