Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

What are people doing for exhaust?

Go down 
+2
ZephyrEFI
82_4Door
6 posters
AuthorMessage
82_4Door

82_4Door

What are people doing for exhaust? Empty
PostSubject: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm

One area of my 82 I'd like to finish is the exhaust. I'm running stock Mustang shorty headers, H Pipe, mid pipes and mufflers. Most of this was given to me, so I can't complain. I never extended the midpipes, so the mufflers are too far forward, and I'd really like some tailpipes. I believe if I extend the mid pipes, everything else should bolt up like a factory system. I've been combing craigslist for the Mustang tailpipes without much luck. Someone's got a brand new complete Flowmaster American thunder catback system posted right now for $250.00. I'm tempted, but not sure if it will fit around the fairmont gas tank. My trunk doesn't have the well for the spare, so I think my gas tank is a little different than the earlier models. I like the sleeper look of the turn down tailpipes instead of the big chrome tips, and this Flowmaster system has those. Has anyone else done a full exhaust swap?
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 9:08 am

i've heard the stock Fox Mustang exhaust tailpipes are still too far forward, but i haven't seen it for myself. I have the Mustang gas tank in mine, and am not sure what i'm going to do for catbacks either. i would like to get some kind of flowmaster setup like that, but i know i would need something between it and the H-pipe, AND i don't know where the tailpipes will end up. whether they will be too close to the gastank, and too far under the bumper. I had to invent how i hung the gastank, so i don't know if it sits in the same place exactly as it does in a Mustang. Ideally, I'd like tailpipes that sort of hug the very outer edge of the rear overhang like they do on a stock LX 5.0L. I don't know how to do it though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
Futurama

Futurama

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:27 am

mustang tailpipes will have to be modified, any muffler shop can do it.

my shit is too loud to be a sleeper like id want, but with that cam i dont think id be fooling anybody. i have big lontubes with a catless hpipe and a pair of dynomax bullets on there dumped way to short lol
Back to top Go down
Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 3:48 pm

I have shortys and an H-pipe, but then it goes 2-into-1 before the 3" muffler, and a 3" single over the axle, and straight out the back, on the driver's side. I would've liked to have an actual merge collector where the muffler is, and a round muffler behind the axle(which is what I asked for), but the guy at the exhaust shop is an idiot, and can't do like he's told.

Maybe next time.
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:38 pm

I have a complete mustang exhaust on my 4 door. Stock H pipe with 2.5" flowmaster mufflers and flowtubes, and 2.5" flowmaster tails.

All I had to do was put a 7" spacer in between the mufflers and the tails, and then it needed tips so it would exit the car. I also used the Late model resto tail pipe mounts for a mustang, I just drilled the holes in the rear frame rails.

If you look at the bottom of my cardomain page you will see them. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2971637

BTW, I've watched the vid of your car doing a burnout on youtube 100's of times lol, it helped me see how much fun my car was gonna be.
Back to top Go down
jnorth8

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 6:12 pm

I did the same as revolution 909, using stock-diameter pipe for an LX Mustang made by Walker/Dynomax. It all fits and looks great. The tail pipes were extended using stock stainless-steel tips from an LX held on to the tailpipes with stainless-steel band clamps also from Walker/Dynomax. The band clamp bolts also provided a way to suspend the tailpipes via the rear bumper bolts that go through the frame.
Back to top Go down
82_4Door

82_4Door

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks for the info. There used to be a guy on the old board with a green 4 door. I remember he used all stock Mustang exhaust, but he extended the mid pipes (before the mufflers). He claimed that this put the mufflers in position to use the stock hanger locations. Rev, it looks like you used normal mid pipes. did the muffler hangers line up ok? I also know the gas tank changed at some point. I saw your drivers side tailpipe picture, but did the tailpipe on the passenger side clear ok? That's the one im worried about.
Back to top Go down
Revolution909

Revolution909

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I did use normal mid pipes, but I used a clamp on hanger and moved it toward the back a bit from where it was on the muffler so it would line up with the hangers better.

The passenger side fits a bit tighter, I was running 265's and had a bit if trouble with the tailpipe hitting the exhaust, just. I bent a part of the gas take that was causing the tailpipe not to fit right, and then it was fine.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:29 am

More and more i'm thinking the way to go is to order myself new Flowmaster catbacks unwelded, so i can bolt it right to the stock H-pipe flange, mount the mufflers in the stock location, and then extend the pipe between there. and then extend the tailpipes as needed. Pretty much exactly what some of you guys have done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for exhaust?   What are people doing for exhaust? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are people doing for exhaust?
Page 1 of 1