Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

2015 Project Thread!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 11:05 am

Well, I found this site called rearcounter.com that specializes in New Old Stock where you search by part number and it shows you a list of places that have it. So, that's a handy tool, but I ended up going through NOS Parts LTD. So, all those local yards lost my business because of their crabbiness and stubbornness. That's really the worst thing about going to junkyards, the crabby counter guys.

So, that came and it's all installed and stuff. I definitely feel better having dumped those stupid flimsy plastic pieces. There's a bunch of the metal ones available on rearcounter though if you want some. Pretty funny, they have NOS plastic ones too, haha. Here are the part numbers if you're interested. There are Granada/Cougar/F/Z numbers and LTD/Marquis ones for some reason, but they're all the same, just Left or Right.

E1DZ-5423289-A Granada Left Side
E3BZ-5423289-A LTD Left Side

E1DZ-5423288-A Granada Right Side
E3BZ-5423288-A LTD Right Side

Anyway, I've gotten some work done in the past few days. The power lock and window components are all mounted and stuff, I just need to wire them and that's done! I've got my '87-93 Mustang mirrors all reshaped and painted, ready to go on. I found all the factory wiring in my Mustang harness, so those just need to be plugged in and they'll work!

As long as my heads haven't arrived yet, I think I'm going to move my passenger side dash harness from the big evaporator hole in the firewall to the little round one farther over. Maybe then I can get the ECM to sit nicely along the kick panel. Sucks though, I'll need to loosen both the dash and the heater box to do it. That's always bugged me how sloppy that looks, but at the time I was first doing the drivetrain swap, I didn't want to have to cut any unnecessary holes in my new baby (that round hole would need to be enlarged to an oval to fit the harness through it). I've since gotten over that, haha. The other day, I even cut a new door harness hole in the driver's side footwell because I felt that the factory one was too hard to get at, hahahaha!

I had to re-buy rear shoulder belts from ebay. The guy I was trying to buy some from way back in December dropped off the grid. Oh well, at least this way I got black ones I won't need to dye.

How are you doing? Good to hear from you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Had some time today and finished up the power windows, locks, and mirrors. Door panels are back on. I ended up having a problem with the passenger side lock not working, so I had to spend way too much time hunting down what was wrong with that. Gotta love having to do things more than once.

Maybe if I get some time this weekend, I'll work on that firewall wiring. I've also been storing a giant piece of sheetmetal waiting to be made into a support skeleton for my bottom of the hood insulation that doesn't want to stay up on its own. Should probably do that sooner than later too.

Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 8:21 am

what was wrong with the pass door lock was it a faulty component or installation. I hate doing things more than once, but occasionally, it seems that's the way it goes for a while. I haven't been doing any work on mine, I have been just driving it.
there is still so much to do, I still have plans to do things, just not much time to do it. I'm trying to get the house cleaned out and trying to do loads of paper work. then I'll have more things to do as well I'm sure.
when things get back to normal, I want to try to get all the cars serviced.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

It was a mistake in the wiring. You know those things for tapping into an existing wire where it pinches both the original wire and a new one to make a 3-way connection? I was using those for the "lock" and "unlock" circuits so they would go to both doors. i used them because the wires were a little short and hard to work with. They are not very reliable though. The wiring that came with the power lock kit is very thin, so it probably wasn't making a good connection. I cut those out of there and stripped a big long piece of all 3 wires, twisted the crap out them, and then soldered them together. When in doubt, overkill. haha

It's interesting, the power lock kit allows you to use it like intended where you can use the remote to lock/unlock the doors, or if you lock the driver's door manually, the passenger door locks too. Or, you can connect these two extra wires on the module to a switch and control it that way. I was planning on not using my lock switch on the center console, but it turns out, I can if I want! The only thing is, the remote doesn't work when you do that. I imagine I'll wait to hook up the switch until I put the remote start system in so I can control the doors with the remotes that come with THAT. I had wondered if i'll need to carry around 2 remotes with my keys when I do that, but I won't!

I have very little time for my car, but more than you it sounds like. I'd prefer to be done with my yearly work ASAP so I can drive it and do other stuff for the rest of the summer. At least you have yours where you can drive it!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 7:04 am

I'm sorry, I have been dealing with a lot of stuff, and haven't been able to replay as quickly as possible.
I know which taps you have used, and they are ok for using inside the car, provided the wires are all the same size.
I am a solder freak, I hate to do things twice, I think there are only a few crimp connectors in my car, but they are only for test purposes.
my old man was in WWII, he was a flight engineer for B17's, and also civilian aircraft, he would not be pleased to se me twist wires together and put tape on them, I finally learned my lessen when I installed an amp gauge in my 58 chevy Biscayne, I was lucky I didn't burn the car down, I used the wrong type wire and twisted the wires together, that's when I started to use soldering guns, in fact mine was better than his. I guess I was a dumb-ass kid who was lazy and in a hurry to get things done quickly. but I was lucky that time.
look up" t tap connectors" on the internet, they are more reliable when working with different gauges of wires. I use them when installing alarms because they use spade connectors for the thinner tapped wire wires for the accessory that you are adding.
rule thumb, larger than 14 guage, solder the wires or use solder on the crimp joints.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 11:22 am

It's no problem. Forums are like email. You can reply whenever you get around to it!

That t-tap is cool! The wires WERE different sizes, so that was why it wasn't working I'm sure! I actually use a lot of butt connectors. When I was doing my exterior lighting, that all was soldered though. I like to solder things, but I just get lazy and in a hurry sometimes, haha. Way back when I did my first stereo, I used quite a few wire caps and tape, but that didn't work so well for me, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 10:27 am

T-taps are a quick way to tap into a power wire for adding a low current circuit like a relay or light bulb etc. I use the yellow ones when tapping into the main power wires when adding the push button start switches for people with arthritic wrists. Some “old dears” have arthritis and are unable to turn the ign sw far enough to start the cars, so I add the buttons, I use the small discrete buttons in red or black.
Did you know there are also step down butt connectors from blue to red??? Or you can turn it around and go from red to blue?????? Yellow to blue also.these are great for tapping, Pretty cool eh!
I try to stay away from butt connectors unless it’s for an interior or temporary or low current circuit. First of all, I think they are ugly, and look cheap and lazy, they are also bulky can lead to reliability issues if not installed correctly. If I have to use butt connectors, I usually try to use the non-insulated type so I can add the dual wall heatshrink tubing to insulate against moisture.
You have to question yourself, is it better to solder all the wires on you head unit or just add butt connectors, well; I’d butt connector my ass off(no pun intended), however if I were adding a new pigtail for a head lamp or ignition coil, I’d use solder & heatshrink. Every butt connector adds a possible point of failure, just like a t-tap, they are prone to failure due to vibration, so they must be secured.
Butt connectors can be useful in tight places if the circuit is really important and requires a tap, and the length of the wire is important. I may cut the wire install a butt connector to one end of the wire then wrap/twist the wire to be added to the circuit to the other end and crimp, then solder the wires to the butt connector and insulate with dual wall heatshrink. If the length of the wire is not important, you can ommit the butt connector, just cut the wire, add the tap and heatshrink.
Sorry I waffle on a bit, but there are so many variables involved, it’s all about reliability to me. I spent ages extending the wiring on my PCM’s and engine looms and never had a joint failure, while other guys keep repairing repairs that have been repaired instead of driving the car…as you have worked in a dealership, I’m sure your understand. And with a nice car like yours, you don’t want to be seen sitting on the side of the road, trying to find out what went wrong.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 10:56 am

You're definitely right about that. I have intermittent failures in my stereo system somewhere I haven't had the chance to track down, and it's so frustrating.

Those step down butt connectors would have been really handy last week for me. oh well, I guess. I do crimp the crap out of them, haha. I even have a special "crimping tool", haha.

I wonder if I can loosen my heater box without loosening the dash to pull my ECM wiring though... I'd sure prefer to NOT mess with loosening the dash if I don't have to. If I do though, maybe i'll put a new evaporator in, in preparation for next year when I add A/C. But that would be planning ahead, and I don't really do that, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 8:45 am

Yeah all too often we find out about things AFTER we do the job. Hey if your car has the oblong hole for the EFI Harness, you should be able to snake the harness down behind the plenum onto the floor, then pull it thru over to the kick panel. If not, there is plenty of room behind the firewall and plenum to use a hole cutter.
Measure the width and length of the hole from a car in the junk yard, or using a caliper, measure and/or trace the dimensions from the rubber plug hole. Go to the local hardware store and buy a Milwaukee hole saw/ cutter that cuts metal and is the same width. If you think the drill bit is too long, some drill bits are adjustable or you can use a grinder to grind/file a nick in the bit for the Allen screw jamb bolt to bring the drill bit in closer to the hole saw.
Trace the hole’s dimensions onto the firewall and go for it. remember a liter smaller is ok.
You can drill two holes (but it’s easier with three) and using tin snips cut the length out and then shape the corners with a die grinder or file. Or you can cut the entire hole out with a die grinder, it just takes longer and is difficult to keep straight.
The only issue with using three holes is they have to be near perfectly aligned. So you’ll need to use a center line for the slot and a good center punch.
When I did the 4.6 conversion, I had to drill/cut some odd shaped holes (even in the lower kick panels and aprons ) for the looms and fuel lines to go thru, that’s what I used, Milwaukee hole saws and Milwaukee tin snips, they performed very well.
Being that you have the intake off, it should be easier. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks! I might get some time to tackle that today, we'll see, it being Mother's Day, haha.

I'm kind of excited, I was planning on shelling out a mint on a new aluminum driveshaft to solve my stupid high speed vibration problem. BUT, today I was reminded of the 4-door 2wd Explorer driveshaft option. They were aluminum! Guys say they fit! The only thing is, having a new one made would definitely solve the problem once and for all, while a used part still leaves question marks. Does it REALLY fit? Which transmission does the Explorer need to have? What years work?

I'd need to have one shipped here, which it looks like I could do for around $100, which is GREAT compared to having a new one made. But if it doesn't work for whatever reason, then I'm out that money. It seems like it MAY go against my recent pattern of just paying what it costs to solve problems once and for all. The risk seems too risky. haha. My failures trying to solve problems cheaply with the suspension left me skittish.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 1:30 pm

I bit the bullet and ordered one from a '96 2WD Explorer 4.0L Automatic. I'm going to have it balanced once I swap my yokes too just in case. My vibration problems should be over!

I cut that oval hole in the firewall yesterday. I don't have a right angle drill, so I couldn't get my regular drill in there at all. The bit would just walk on me because I couldn't do it straight on. I ended up doing the entire hole with my 90 degree die grinder. some with a cutoff wheel, and some with a carbide bit. It took a LONG time, and I almost got into the brake line. But it's done! haha. Now I have to make that filler panel for the rest of the big square evaporator hole.

2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Firewall%20Holes%201_zpsvqwrpmuo
Here you can see where the harness was just sort of puking out of the square hole. That always bugged me. I'll post an after pic when I finish.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 7:15 am

sorry for the slow response, I had a migraine cycle again for 3 days. probably due to the weather changes, hot/cold/windy.
i like the aluminum shafts, I think you have a good plan, especially if it get rid of your vibration. they are used on F150's so they must be pretty tough, the write up and video on late model restorations is good also.
I thought the loom you were running into the car was for the EFI. the first time I ran EFI in this car I used a round connector because I had a big round connector laying around that would support that many wires and had room for a few extra.
yeah using a die grinder is time consuming, but it looks like you did a good job on it.
hell; when you get this car done, your gonna need to insure it thru Haggerty. you should open up a little hot rod shop and do EFI conversions.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Don't worry about taking some time to post. No rush.

Yeah, I'm a little confused about what I've heard about the Explorer driveshafts, whether I'll need larger u-joints than what I have on my Fox LTD driveshaft. Guys say you need to swap your original yokes over to the Explorer shaft, so how would larger u-joints fit on them? It should be coming tomorrow, so I'll find out either way, I guess. I hate when guys who really know about stuff hardly post any details about it. That's how you end up with several posts about the same thing, over and over and over. When I'm posting about something I think will help people, I always put as much detail as I can.

The wiring I moved leads to the ECM and a few other connectors. There is no connector at the firewall, but there is an oval shaped grommet attached to it. You need a hole big enough to pass the EEC connector through anyway, so it does need to be that big.

I think I have the agreed value with State Farm at about $15,000 for it. If anyone ever offered to buy it, I'd have a hard time selling it for less than that.

I ended up ordering a new evaporator, so i'll put that in the heater box before I button up the dash.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 11:25 pm

don't worry about the driveshaft u-joints, they make ones that have 1310 on one side & 1330 on the other, your drive shaft may not need to have the hybrid joint, as the yokes may even be the same size. I had to swap mine for the hybrid because i'm using a 4R70W transmission with a driveshaft made for a C4.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 10:36 am

Cool. Yeah though, the confusion I had was over the fact that the last guy talking about an Explorer driveshaft had the larger yokes on his (like from a later Mustang or something), so he was using hybrid u-joints with his old Fairmont steel driveshaft, but used plain 1330 size with the Explorer one. He did offer up the u-joint part number, and since I have the smaller yoke type, I wondered how in the world he got the larger u-joints to fit, haha. It's all cleared up now. Mine should be arriving today! Evaporator's coming tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:18 am

I wrestled the HVAC box out yesterday. What a pain, even with the dash already loose. It was such a pain, in fact, that I decided I need to replace the heater core as long as I'm in here too, so I hopefully don't have to do this again EVER.

I had the box out and was looking for how to even get the evaporator out, and then... I found my answer. Ford's sanctioned solution is to CUT the box open. What a stupid design. I agonized over what heater core to get so that I don't have to replace it a year down the road and settled on the OEM Ford one from Latemodel Restoration. It was not cheap, so it'd BETTER be good!! The word on the street is copper is better than aluminum for these, so that's what we went with. Also, I seem to have misplaced my flow restrictor, so I had to buy that too. So that's all on hold until next week. The parts store heater cores were so cheap, I just don't trust them.

After that, I spent some time trying to determine if I'll be able to get the 1310 x 1330 u-joints I'll need to make my Explorer driveshaft work in my hands the same day. Most parts stores' websites wouldn't even SHOW me a u-joint without putting in vehicle information, which would obviously not have led me to what I need. I had a Napa part number a guy gave me, but I didn't like how it had the grease fitting on the body. Since I'm trying to eliminate a vibration issue, I don't want to leave anything to chance. Well, I gave up on the local parts stores and ended up finding that Ford Racing makes one, and good ol' Latemodel Restoration carries it. So that means more waiting. One thing I thought was cool though about the Ford Racing one is that it's greasable, but the fitting is on the cap. Brilliant!

I have the day today to do car work, so I'll have to work on odds and ends mostly since the stuff I really want to finish is on hold until I get parts next week.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:30 am

good choice on the heater core! excellent that you are using the restrictor. my u joint from crappa has a grease fitting on it, however you can use the Ford heavy duty black grease for 4x4's, it's good stuff, but hard to get off your hands because it sticks like stink to pants. Toyota also has a good grease, I'm not sure, but I think its called Elephant grease.
I'm back on the v-6 Focus gig again........found a focus with a blown engine, but the nut case want 2k for it.
you'll be really happy when that vibration is gone. what are you going to do when you finish the car.............start over or put some miles on it. I'd warm the car up, throw the A/c on, fins some nice tunes, plant the family inside and go foa a good weekend off somewhere.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 10:52 am

I've got some kind of grease in my grease gun.... I forget what it is. I know it said it was for Fords. haha.

"Finish" the car? haha. There's always something that needs doing, haha. I do plan to drive the wheels off it though. As much as i like my Fusion, i plan to use the Zeph like a daily driver during warm weather months. I won't be starting over on it anytime soon. Maybe one day when Coyotes come down in price or something, haha.

V6 Focus would be super cool! What V6 would you use? Maybe if you could get an EcoBoost 2.0 for cheap, that would be an easier swap?
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 7:53 am

the coyote engines are still pretty high, I would like to do that also. maybe you have a point about he eco-boost.....anyway, nothings going to happen soon, until the money gets better. I still have to clear this thru the wife, and that's a big hurdle.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Yeah, same here. In the meantime, I just want my existing engine to run reliably, and everything to work well together. That's something I've never had with this car.

My heads are done, and are on their way to me! I'm pretty excited!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Alright, finished with the heater box today. It's back in, and both evaporator and heater core have been replaced. Here's an "after" look at how I moved that harness.

2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Firewall%20Holes%202_zpsyhlevdzj
Okay, so you can see the harness now goes through at the correct oval hole on the far left, and the remaining gaping hole in the firewall has been filled in with a black piece of sheet metal. The harness is no longer flopped over into no man's land, it's neatly attached to the firewall above the pinch weld. Again, one of those things that someone else may have never noticed, but always bugged me. A whole lot of trouble for a hardly noticeable result, haha.

I got my Explorer driveshaft, and put the yokes from my old driveshaft on it. I brought it to be balanced today, and the guy scared me a little because of some obvious interference and rubbing on the shaft towards the middle. He said it might even be bent. That would have been disappointing as I'd have needed to wait for another one to be shipped to me from the south (the land of 2wd Explorers) and I'd have been out that money for the first one. Well, they called me a bit later, and it's actually fine. It's balanced and ready to go! One more thing checked off the list!

Other than that, I have to finish putting the interior back together, test everything to make sure it all still works after the wiring and everything was all jerked around from removing and reinstalling the heater box. I'm a little nervous about doing that...
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 8:11 am

now that you've done a lot of work at one time, you'll be shitting peach seeds on that maiden voyage while Trying to monitor all the upgrades, while in reality you know deep down in your heart you wouldn't put it back together unless you knew it was right.
heres a good hint, before you put the heads back on and you have everything cleaned-up, try running a carborudum block (knife sharpening stone) over the headgasket mating surface on the block until it feels smooth. use plenty on WD-40 on the stone.
you should have plenty of fun while cruising the car for the first time this year, just knowing you have fresh fuel in the tank that needs to be burned out is always a good feeling.
I usually go to the circle k down the road, look out for smells, evaluate the ride, checks for leaks, get a coke and off down the highway we go.
I wish you a safe & pleasant road test with loads of good data results.

Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 10:31 am

Cool, I'll do that with the mating surface, thanks!

Actually, I think I have a bunch of old gas in the tank right now, haha. Maybe THIS fall I'll actually remember to treat the gas in the tank, haha.

Thanks, a test drive is probably a ways off, but my heads are supposed to show up today! I'm nervous about doing real heavyline work. I'm hardly experienced at all in that. Wiring is more my thing, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 7:10 am

yeah I don't like doing engine work myself, it makes me anxious. it's kinda funny really because I used to do the manual trans rebuilds years ago when I worked for Toyota, Frt whl drive, Rear whl frive, single or double syncro's and I actually liked it...... I learned the carborundum block thing from a diesel guy, he showed me while he was doing a head gasket job and let me feel how it's done, and it really does get get the high spots off. you're right though; electrical is much easier or maybe we are just more confident with it.
is the guy you met online doing the heads?
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm doing the actual head transplant. He's in Missouri, and had to ship them to me. He milled them a bit for compression, did a valve job with oversize intake valves, and did some light porting.

Yeah, at least with manuals you don't have the valve body to deal with. That's what really scares me about automatics. I thought about rebuilding my T-5 when I had it out, but decided not to, haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Project Thread!   2015 Project Thread! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2015 Project Thread!
Page 6 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next