Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

2014 Projects Thread!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
fangar150-ex

2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am

wow another ES! how many were made, weren't they only manufactured for 2 years. where does this guy live?
we used to have a lot of cool cars on this site, somebody was always building something, v-8's swaps etc. maybe the recession had something to do with it.
we didn't make the ride, the wife wasn't feeling up to it.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 pm

I really don't know how many were made. I'm thinking of getting one of those Marti reports. That might tell, at least for '79 Zephyrs. And yeah, I'm pretty sure they were done by 1980. Damn Futura/Z-7 stole the spotlight, haha. I'm not sure where he lives yet. Sounds like the east coast.

Yeah, it's hard to say what happened here. I'm sure it doesn't help that we never see Fairmont Jeff posting. I wonder if he checks in at all? I would say maybe the F/Z itself isn't enough to sustain a site on its own, but right now, the Facebook F/Z group I'm in gets a lot of action. But, it is pretty new, so that might fade with time too. The F/Z area of Ford Forums Online used to have a lot of action, but that's died off too. On Four Eyed Pride, we early Fox chassis owners all sort of blend in together, so that works out pretty well. I like that it's not so busy it's impossible to keep up with, but busy enough there's usually something worth discussing. And it's CIVIL. No idiots just trying to get a rise out of people.

Too bad about your ride. How's she doing if you don't mind my asking?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Hey, I won Ride of the Month!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Well it’s all down to the judges, and they are not as well equipped to judge an automobile online as easily as in the daylight. Don’t feel bad abought it at all. They receive different types of input from various sources and draw from it. Unfortunately for you, they miss out on the feel, handling, power, braking etc.
I’ll tell you the truth, nobody asked my opinion, however; I would feel confident going for a road test in your automobile. “judging” by the info, photo documentation, feedback etc, I will say it would be safe and reliable, you can’t ask for much more.
You are right about the testosterone base sites, know it alls, etc. I left a site because I felt some were motivated by how much they could spend, others were trying to get everyone to clone together, some were just plain stupid, some were hacks. I got into a debate about the PATS system, some guys were lead to believe that they would have to spend boo-koo bucks to get the keys programmed, so I voiced my concerns, explained the realities etc, they retaliated, I left. Took all the electrical info info with me.
Felt sorry for the guys who needed help, but I don’t believe in b/s ing people to think they have to have a diablo tuner to get their car running, if that were true, it would have came with the car when it was new.  4.6 conversions have been around for years, anyone can do it, I proved that………..it’s no big deal…..
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:39 pm

W T F!!!!!! DUDE lay off the opiates, smash the pipe. are you sure????? now I've got to go check it out.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:43 pm

ok, the ride of the month hasn't been changed yet, I guess it's still October or something.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 am

I'm glad you would ride in/drive my car. I could use a little more confidence something isn't going to go horribly wrong if I try to take it too far, haha.
The guys that really annoy me on forums are the one who've decided their car is the fastest, and that makes them better than you. I remember being on a site where a guy had a Saleen S-351, and he was worshipped. There are people who enable that kind of crap! But it's just like you say, who can spend the most. Those are the people that get the trophies at car shows too. Oooo, a new Shelby! First place! Really? Then there are the guys that are such know-it-alls they will keep arguing even after they know they are wrong! They're so focused on winning the argument, they don't even care about the facts.
Yeah, the guy is still writing the article. The poll post in the forum where people voted has the results and he declared me the winner. 51% of the vote out of 5 cars. There were some cool cars in contention too! A wagon racecar with a turbo 2.3, and Red78's two cars! Pretty sure he used to be a member here.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 pm

you're right; Red 78 was/is a member, he has 2 pretty nice cars and a wealth of info. I believe it was him who gave the info on the sites relating to some weights and measure I was looking for.

all of the best/fastest car crap can easily be solved by a "power-Fest" nudge-nudge, nod-nod, when we had the burn-out deal at work a couple of years ago, loads of people showed interest, however only 7 vehicles participated, it was interesting, 30 -40 seconds is a long time, a LOT of noise, a LOT of smoke, 3 vehicles had failures, and the king of the failures was the corvette blowing the clutch. how many of those guys would do something like that, as there is always a chance something will break; it raises the stakes.
I am glad you have won, it wont change anything, you'll still pursue you dreams, it just means some other people will have to wait for the recognition of their efforts and cars. are you going to get a set of gold plated balls to hang from your rear bumper???? I'd hang them from my mirror so they could drag along the road and jingle....
I suppose it is also worth saying everyone has the right to be proud of their car and the intense labor operations involved, some people do fantastic paint, trim, upholstery, stereos etc, it doesn’t make it faster, it makes it “custom”.  Some guys only spend the time on the engines, and man are they fast, I think it’s the brain rewarding the ego saying “I did this”.
We are not all on the same financial level, so a certain amount of “engineering” has to be factored in, and this adds to the pride element.
We had a kid at work that was a rattle can freak, his girlfriend bought a jeep that had been sitting for years, the did all the right things, flushed the fuel system, changed all the fluids etc. her favorite color is purple, so he rattled the jeep inside & out with purple accents on this black jeep, it looked so alive &  cool !!! I think it was Eastwood Paints he used.
We all have to get along and share info to be able to succeed, I would love to win ride of the month, but I can’t afford anything , a trailer and a flashy lifted truck to pull it, so I sit here broken hearted and dream of having a new stereo that plays CD’s & USB and some decent speakers……..comfortably content with the self imposed “crapper of the year” title, and I don't see too much competition, which adds to my confidence.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 8:10 pm

son of a #$%^&, I typed a big long response to this, but the forum timed out and I had to log in again and lost it all.

I know what you should do. Clean up/paint the engine bay and suspension so they're GLEAMING, but leave the outside like it is. People love a good sleeper. Or, some call them sleepers, I call them rat rods. "Patina" is very "in" right now. At least painting the engine bay and stuff you don't have to be nearly as careful as the body itself. Ask your rattle can friend for some pointers!

The powerfest sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't know how you guys got that one past the cops, haha. At Car Craft Summer Nationals, the Burnout Contest if very carefully regulated for safety, and the crowd sits pretty far away from the car.

People can be proud of their cars, sure. If it was just a few of us at a car show, I would talk to them. But if it's a bigger show, I probably won't stop at cars I don't like, haha.

Red78 didn't need this, he has plenty of trophies, haha. His cars are so clean, not to mention BRIGHT RED, so he doesn't have any trouble, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 6:52 am

sorry , have been pretty sick lately, it started with a bad dry cough, and went downhill from there.....
well done on the win!!!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah, I'm sick too. I just got over one thing and then a new one started. It stinks!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:42 am

Not having any fun the past week, started off with a sore throat, went downhill from there. Then I bashed my leg on the shin pretty deep….still feel pretty cruddy.
I had a look on FEP and saw the competition you went up against, that was harsh to judge, but you got 50% of the vote; well done!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah, I'm slowly getting better. Still have a pretty good cough.

Yeah, it sure is nice to have some appreciation. I'm looking forward to reading the article they write about me. I guess the guy doing it is pretty busy though, hence the lateness.

The guy I nominated for ride of the month actually ended up beating my to a Turbo Fairmont hood. I'm okay with it for a couple of reasons. I know what he paid, more than I was willing to. And now I'm back on the LTD/Marquis front end thing, haha. I looked on car-part and there are a couple here in MN. Both pretty far flung though. But one is in Duluth, and I try to make it up there as much as I can. Not exactly convenient though. And no money to spend until the spring anyway. I've got to find something hobby/project/fun related to occupy my mind other than the car for the next few months, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 am

Feeling better, but not 100%. The weather here has been hot/cold/warm; while you guys seem to be in a deep freezer, I don’t know which is better, steady cold or constant changing.
Had to throw a new clock in the Fairmont, the last one was acting up, when I turned the lights on; it would flash like a slow strobe, very distracting.
Was thinking about doing some more mods, but can’t stay focused of get motivated….it can wait.
I'd like to get moving on those old cars, but can't get the steam up just yet, or the capitol....I need to do a little better first. I don't get ill very often, but this seems to be dragging on; and I'm not a patient person by nature.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Yeah, I have a real problem with patience myself, haha. I'm most of the way better now. Better than I've been for a good 2 weeks or more. It IS cold here. Winter hit all of a sudden on Monday, and shows no sign of letting go any time soon. At least it waited until November. I probably would've been driving the Zeph until last Sunday.
What other mods would you do?

I had a guy contact me that runs a performance shop in St. Louis. He said he would like to "do business with me". I wasn't sure what that meant, but assumed he meant I would bring the car to him and let him put together some GT40P heads for me, do a cam swap & degree it, and give the ECM a tune. I need to do a compression test to see if my shortblock is up to more power, seeing as how I don't really know its history or how many miles it really has. If it's not good, he gave me a quote on rebuilding it for me too. I really like the idea of turning it over to him and letting him work his magic on that combo so I know I'm getting the most out of it. And I would finally be sure my engine is solid for the long haul.
Anyway, it turned out that he mostly just intended to prepare the heads for me, help me pick a cam, and then provide any tech help from then on I may need. But after i responded thinking he wanted to work on the car, he said he would enjoy working on it and gave me quotes on everything. It would be quite a bit of trouble to bring the car to him. It's a good 8-9 hour drive, and I would have to rent a trailer. His quote was at a VERY reasonable shop rate, but it's still quite a bit more money than I was thinking of spending on the car next year. And I am fairly sure I can do most of the work myself. Degreeing the cam scares me though. That seems easy to do wrong, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 9:26 am

I don’t know what I want to do just yet, I was trying to come up with some ideas to build up some steam. I just thought a couple of new ideas would build up some motivation get things moving. I’ve been looking at some new wheels from Cragar, the500P eliminator or the Hurst Dazzler wheels, I kinda like the retro design however they don’t come in 16in, an I really I don’t want to go to a lower profile 17in tire, then also I’d need to do the offset measurements again, I had some 17’s off an 05 or 06 mustang for a short period, however they would rub in the rear under hard cornering, and I lost a lot of steering angle, now that I’m using the sn95 lower control arms, that may not be a problem up front.
That’s pretty good that someone else 9hrs away is interested in your vehicle. How did he find you? Was it thru a friend or what?
Any experience/info he is willing to share is worth listening to; I suppose he has a lot of different combo’s in mind. The A9L PCM is pretty good on its own, but if he can match/tune it to your vehicle that would say a lot! Having the GT40 or GT40P heads is possible now with the new shorty headers for fox bodies.
I have never degreed a camshaft, I just line up the dots, throw a new double roller chain on it and shove it back together, I’ve heard of it, but I don’t know how much more horsepower it would extract.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 4:07 pm

That's true, you DON'T want 17" wheels! My car's ride improved a ton just going from 17s to 16s. Those wheels you're looking at look pretty dang cool though. Especially with grey spokes!

I was asking about how I should go about upgrading my cam and heads on FEP. He was posting in that thread. The guy had a lot of answers for me just in the post. He says he's been playing with heads since 1989!

I actually have an A9P. I've heard it's not a big deal to run a manual setup with it though. I've seen A9Ls pop up for sale here and there, I just can't rationalize paying $100 to replace a computer that's working fine anyway.

Yeah, I don't know much about degreeing. A guy did mention he ended up adjusting his TWELVE degrees though!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 8:28 pm

it's funny when I was looking for an auto trans PCM, all I had was A9L, except the one that came with my 5.0, I would had to change over to mass air to use the A9P. mass air works just fine so long as you don't go changing the cams, however the A9's are quicker right out of the box. I believe you can find them cheaper than that surely.....I still have an A9L in my tool cabinet sitting like a turd, collecting dust. I wonder if the guy could program the right stuff into the one you have....
yeah those wheels do look FINE!!!!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 11:56 am

Meh, well I would still have the auto harness, so who know if some of the pins would even go to the right things. From the looks of the wiring diagrams, many of the wire colors are different. At least where stuff like the transmission and start circuit are concerned. If I remember right, anyway.

He said he can do stuff like disable emissions, so I won't have that memory code looking for TAB and TAD and stuff like that. And the fuel tables could be maximized for my equipment, which sounds great. I have 24# injectors to put on, along with a MAF set up to operate them, but maybe that only gets you so far, you know?

Most likely what will happen though is I'll just end up slapping the heads on this year and then revisiting things like an engine rebuild and a tune next year though. We just have too many other expenses slated to come out of the tax refund this year.

Plus, I'd really like to sort out my driveline vibration this next spring too so I can take it down a 70mph highway without worrying about it shaking apart. I'll have my driveshaft balanced for sure. I've heard it could also by the pinion bearing (which would be easy for me to believe because it was me who was last in my rear end), or there is this brass bushing in the tailshaft housing of the trans the yoke is supposed to ride on. The yoke I have is from a C4 car, so I have no idea if a T-5 requires a different one or what. It fits on the output shaft, but may just be banging around in there if it's not the right diameter for that bushing.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 8:17 am

You can check the extension housing/yoke play just by crawling under the car and jiggling the yoke. If it isn’t fairly tight, it may require disassembly inspection & measuring. Remove the drive shaft and check both u-joints for free movement/no binding.
If you have a bad pinion bearing, it is generally pretty noisy during tip in/tip out and could be speed related, meaning it gets louder at a certain speed.
Why is it I can just cobble stuff together and it usually works out fine, but you seem to have issues, maybe I’m just lucky, I DO take driveline issues seriously, when my frt u/joint went south, I was lucky to get to 30 mph, but the faster I went the vibration would lessen, but as the veh slowed it came back with a vengeance, luckily no transmission or yoke damage.
A normal shaft rebuild & balance can go from 150 -250 bones.
You can look up the part #’s and cross reference the yokes and u-joints yourself online; however you do need to identify the transmission type and what model/year it comes from, you may find the C4 yoke fits more vehicles than you think.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Yeah, I did put new U-joints on. I even replaced the front one again this year because it seemed to bind a little bit.

But yeah, I'll crawl under there and check that. And I don't hear any noise from my pinion bearing, so I guess that's good, haha. I tried looking for replacement driveshafts, but they really don't exist unless it's a really common application like Fox Mustang or something.

I wanted to find out of GT40P heads will work with EGR. They do have a port in the same spot as E7 and GT40 heads, but I was still skeptical because the intakes that came with GT40P engines did NOT have the EGR passage that mated up with that port. I found a guy that had actually done it, and says that you CAN put an intake with functioning EGR on GT40P heads and then have working EGR. I wanted to make sure of that before I bought P heads and then waited on doing the tune.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 4:14 pm

i may be wrong and quite often am, but I thought gt40P heads eliminated EGR. I believe the P heads flow better. memory has gone to mush lately, I just worked on one a few days ago........
at what speed & RPM does this vibration rear it's head?
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 8:11 pm

The EGR system on GT40P engines used an external pipe that ran from a fitting on the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. However, the heads do still have the port for internal EGR through the intake. The intakes that came with those engines did not. Why? I have no idea.

The vibration really comes on between 65 and 70 mph. Like we've said though, I did change the gears recently to 4.10, so the problem could have always been there, but the driveshaft now spins faster relative to vehicle speed so it shows up lower in the MPH.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 2:45 pm

I suppose you've already rotated the tires front to rear just to verify it's not the wheels.
Some driveline repair shops will rebuild/balance a shaft, for $250; another 100 bones or so gets an aluminum unit.
Is your pinion angle correct?
I’m doing (was doing till my wife ended up in the hospital) a 01 mustang for a load of work, it’s got some drive line vibration, the yoke has a lot of play in the tail shaft housing, the frt u/j is stiff in one direction sand the yoke has rust on the part of the shaft that goes into the trans. The shaft came from a junk yard, a new ford shaft is over a grand, but I found an aluminum shaft from ford racing for around $350. It needs a lot of other work as well, but I was amazed at the price of the Ford Racing aluminum unit VS the stock Ford unit.
I was pretty lucky when I cobbled mine together, I found the right length shaft and swapped over the yokes, NAPA supplied the modified u/joint that went south, no balancing done, just shoved it in…….
A lot of guys were putting blanking plates behind the egr on the 5.0. I never tried it because it does not give a horsepower gain, but it can let the engine run a bit cooler.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 am

I'm not sure if I rotated the tires, but I just had those new tires put on, so I would have to imagine they were balanced. Not to say that couldn't still be the problem though.
My pinion angle is 0 degrees. I've had people tell me that's fine.

Wow, that Mustang sounds like a mess! The price of the Ford unit doesn't surprise me that much. Anytime I ever compare a Ford factory part with anything else, the Ford part is always WAY out of line. I'm sure you're well aware of that though. Ford Racing tries to compete with the aftermarket, so their stuff is cheaper, odd as that is.

I actually had blocked off my EGR too, but remember my idle problem? That was the reason. The car wouldn't even run at base timing, and I had fiddled with it until it would run, which was way off normal. Once I reinstalled EGR and reset the timing, boom, problem solved. I know guys do eliminate it, but I'm not going to until it can be programmed out at the ECM level. Like you said, it doesn't hurt horsepower to have it there, so why not?

They posted the Ride of the Month article
http://www.foureyedpride.com/content.php?266-November-Ride-of-the-Month
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Projects Thread!   2014 Projects Thread! - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 Projects Thread!
Page 8 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next