Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

dash install

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
fangar150-ex

dash install  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 8:21 am

don't use the dimpled hole on the right side door when adding a power door lock actuator until you check that it is in the correct location, (I used this hole on the r/s because the left side worked fine) if you use the r/s hole you may find that the actuator rod will be too high up (as I did) and it won't lock the latch, just check it before drilling!
I copied the part # down from the door lock actuators to find out which vehicle they came out of, so when I get the info I will post it. I like these actuators, they are robust and fairly compact.
I did a load of soldering yesterday now that I am certain the wiring is correct. I couldn't find the ding-dong wire in the loom, then I remembered I had tied a knot in the wire to stow it away!! it all works fine.
I went out for a cruise yesterday to check the suspension, I am satisfied with the lower control arms and with using the original frt anti-roll bar for now.
I cut a wooden plate to set the PCM on, I will probably set that in this weekend. right now the PCM resides in the car wrapped in a towel for anti vibration and protection from the sun.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Those rear O2 sensors are supposed to have a flat pattern, aren't they?

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving; it's been REALLY cold here. My attention has been on getting us a new daily driver. We picked up a race red '14 Focus SE with manual trans. It's pretty sweet. Really great to drive a manual again. Yes, the Zeph is a manual, but it has no tires for the moment, haha.

So you must be moving the PCM under the seat again? Will you need to do that shielding thing again? Power passenger seats are pretty rare. I don't think they were ever offered on any Fox or SN95 Mustang. MAYBE on the Mark VII.

Yeah, that thread by AUG about sway bars made my head hurt. For now I'm sticking with the '01 sway bar in the original Zeph mounts. Probably asking for trouble, haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 9:13 am

Aye-up, PCM under the seat, that’s my signature.
Anytime you extend the PCM wires you should shield certain wires from RFI produced by the starter or alternator. These wires vary by year model and engine. Most people don’t bother, some people use butt connectors instead of soldering….
I had a r/s power seat frame with a broken mounting leg that i got from Davey, i may still have it stored away in the mustang, it fits the seat style in your car. Motors work, frame shagged. Everything motor-wise was riveted together, so i may have stored it. i doubt that he made it, he is a body shop freak, but it looks factory. Don’t know where he got it, maybe it came with the car.
I’m glad you blamed AUG…..I thought it was a wealth of useful info…..he gets into the auto-cross stuff pretty deep, i saw his video of his car, it runs pretty good. he was dead right about the spring rates, but I still disagree about using negative camber with tapered roller bearings, however he said he had been doing it for many years without any failures, and he definitely loads the hell out of it the corners.
Are you using the 01 mustang frt sway bar??? I still have the one from the 97 somewhere; i thought it looked too wide to fit the frame rails; however i did like the extended perches that it sat in. Maybe i was wrong; I’ll have to find it. There was something about it that made me hesitate other than the length of bar and the mounting fixtures. I did use the stabilizer links off of it as they were a bit shorter than the fox.
I was lucky to grow up (seems doubtful to some people) during the muscle car period, Maybe RED 78 also, we still had Chrysler,Plymouth & Dodge CAR dealers, Oldsmobile, Pontiac etc, however fun these car were beat the hell out of in a straight line, they suffered terribly from over/understeer, bad brakes, crappie weight transfer, reliability etc if you beat them hard. Yeah there are several cars that i really would like to have, but cars are far safer now than before, I haven’t put a set of points in a car in years, but i still have a dwell meter!
Today if i had a choice and the money to back it, it would still be a 30’s model chopped & bobbed hot rod or 67 Cougar. There were so many combos out there…..nothing seemed to matter, it’s not too late i suppose, I’m still well into the rat rod scene, that’s why this Fairmont still has an RPM signal!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Haha, I wouldn't say I BLAME him. It just looks like greek to me.

You know, I may be mistaken about whether it's an '01 sway bar I have. It MIGHT be the one from my old '90 parts car. I'm not sure. When I bought my '01 front brakes, I got a bunch of other suspension stuff with it. I don't remember what all was there.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 7:52 pm

if it fits like it belongs there it is most likely the stock one. so long as you are happy with it, keep it.

I had a check eng light come on today, had a code for the evap, found a hose was not connected at the rear of the canister, so I replaced that hose, and had a good check over, & decided to give it a blast, it does right at 3k @ 90mph, (no certified tach or speedo) I was very impressed, and it was smooth, no vibrations. on the way back I decided to give it some boot going up a steep hill, it really performed well. very pleased, however it wasn't the smartest thing to do.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 am

No, it's definitely a Mustang one. I remember I had to improvise a bit bolting it up.

Good to hear! I'd love to see pics of it, once you button up the interior and stuff!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 2:18 pm

took it out shopping this morning, and checked the speed against the GPS, its within a mile per hour +/- up to 60mph.

I tried to repair the blown pass air bag in the dash, when I went to fit it in, it doesn't fit perfectly. something is not allowing it to line-up, I suspect it caused by a problem in the rear.

I may wait & see if I can find a used one the see if it fits better, maybe the dash frame was altered during the crash or during installation, it doesn't look too bad, but it's not really good enough, however it looks better than a hole in the dash. I may have to get a fake air bag cover.

I tried to find a speed control switch here at home, I had a bunch that were similar, but none would fit, so now I have less junk in the garage. it sound kind of nutty, but I am focused on the speed control.

oh yeah, focus; those little Focus cars are some of the most reliable cars Ford ever made, and the give a good fuel mileage return. they are great cars.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 2:30 pm

What I would do if I were you is, hit a boneyard, find a car with the passenger airbag intact (preferably in the right color), and just take the cover. Then when you get it home, make some sort of bracket to mount it in there, and call it good!

I think the CAR steering wheel was different from the TRUCK steering wheel in those years. I'll bet if you found some speed control switches from a Taurus or T-bird, that would fit perfectly. The Ranger and Explorer ones looked similar, but I think the whole wheel was different.

Yeah! We've had 2 other Foci from this body style and they were great cars! 31 mpg all day long. One was the DSG automatic, which I didn't like. It shuddered sometimes and always upshifted WAY too soon. Made it hard to keep up with traffic in stop and go. The new one is a manual though, so I'm happy!
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 3:15 pm

sounds like a plan, I'll have to search for one, the nearest junk yard from here is 70 miles away, we have a local bone yard, but their prices are ridiculous, I ordered a cluster from them the other day for a ranger, I came with no lens, and when we flipped it over the gauges fell out, full of dirt and rust....the fuel gauge was junk. I had to send it back.

I don't go to Tucson very often, and by the time I get there and finish what I came for, it's starting to get late, so....

I have a list for parts we need, so maybe next time.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 5:41 pm

I hear you there. I'm a late riser, so by the time I get to a junkyard, it's usually within a few hours of closing time. I hate that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dash install    dash install  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dash install
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3