Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

Took Some New Pics!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

Took Some New Pics! Empty
PostSubject: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Done plenty of work on the Zeph so far this year. I finally solved my gas tank fitment issue with an '85 Fox LTD wagon tank set up for TBI. I ran new -6 braided steel fuel lines in place of the old factory '90 Mustang lines that weren't long enough. I put in some Steeda lower control arms in the rear, and added an electric fan too. I weeded out the mismatching interior stuff so that all finally looks right with an all-black interior like it had from the factory. And finally, I finished installing the stereo stuff I've had sitting in the garage since I sold my '00 Cougar. Enjoy!

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2931-exterior-5-12

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2933-engine-5-12

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2924-interior-05-2012

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2923-interior-05-2012

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2922-interior-05-2012

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2932-exterior-5-12

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2892-subz2
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286370
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 am

that looks absolutely fantastic, i see you had the same problem locating the pcm, i extended the wires and put mine under the frt passenger seat, i tried to put it behind the glovebox, but it wouldnt fit between the a/c plenum and the dash.

it would be hard to tell that was an engine transplant , it looks like it was grown there!

it's amazing how easy the dash swap goes, the main problem i had with mine was getting the parking brake cable thru the floor.

well done!!
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't see any recent pics of your car at a quick glance here, but I would love to see some! Good call on extending the wires. I thought about cutting out a spot in the metal behind the kick panel for it, but there are so many wires back there already, the kick panel is bulging as it is.

How did you do the parking brake? I remember the hole in the Mustang floor is really weird-shaped. And not only that, the Mustang cables wouldn't be long enough for an F/Z! I don't have a parking brake at all right now, but I would sure like to. If i wanted to do a pedal-type, I have the same problem on the driver's side kick panel. There are so many wires behind it, that it bulges out. I don't know how I could fit a parking brake pedal there even if I wanted to.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Hey nice to see you back!!! That’s a pretty little car you got there.
I sent you some pix by p/mail some time ago, I think you were trying to get the car done before you got married. We were discussing efi fuel tank installations and came up with basically the same idea..cut the spare tire wheel well out. I’ not sure, but I think think one of the pix I sent showed how I did the parking brake cable in the tunnel. If not, let me know & I’ll e-mail them to you.
yeah, I actually cut the cable fitting hole area from the 93 mustang out and welded/fitted it to the tunnel. Since my mustang was a 93, I used the whole parking brake cable set-up on my 2dr coupe, I was really surprised as the cables fitted just fine, although I’m still running the drum brake set-up.
If I’m not mistaken the parking brake handles have pretty much the same mounting holes, so when you dry fit the handle for the console it may be a good idea just to cut a hole in the tunnel & weld in that piece from another mustang for the cable to go thru. I don’t know if the sn 97 cables will be long enough, but they may fit. I Haven’t tried it yet, but I do know that the 93 mustang parking brake lever & cable are on a ratchet/spring adjustment device which will allow you to pull the cable out of the lever assembly out a bit, this may give you some added length to the cables. I seem to remember some mustang guys having an issue with the disc brake conversion where the parking brake levers were keeping too much tension on the discs parking brakes because of the ratchet adjustment system constantly adjusting the cables. this can resolved by using the recall clip that basically locks the parking pawl in the lever solid. I can get the part # from work if you like.
Same here i was going to put the pcm in the kick panel, but when i had a good look, i was scared that I would weaken the structure of the car in that area. i had seen a guy put a pcm under the back seat, another had put it in the trunk, i thought under the pass frt seat was far enough. Only about a 4 ft extension.
most of the wires for the pcm were a straight forward extend & solder, but there were a few that were shielded, i can’t remember if they the injector wires or the tfi module wires. You should keep them shielded, or you can get rfi interference from the starter or alternator, then again, you may not, it’s just the “may” part I don’t like.
I bought a couple of mustangs some time ago, a 96 & 97. I have the 97 GT with 27k on it, I was going to do the red one over with dash, motor, trans, rear discs etc., but the more I thought about it, I didn’t want to destroy all the work I did on the car before, so I searched and searched relentlessly for another Fairmont, and then finally I found a sweet little 83 Fairmont in white, only 117k on it, it was a real cherry, (mind you I had to pay real money for it) but there was a heated debate over destroying it, the wife won, so I sold it, first person who saw it bought it, no debate over the price. I made a few bones, so I guess I should be happy, I just hate to see it cruising around. So now I have a shite load of parts waiting for SOMETHING. I was a bit disgruntled after wasting so much time & effort looking for another Fairmont, oh well….
Hey are you running 16 in or 17 inch tires & wheels on your Zephyr. They look pretty cool, that’s what I wanted to use on the little white 4dr. did you lose any turning radius, I put a set of 06 GT wheels on mine and I lost a lot of turning radius due to the offset of the wheels, the tires would rub on the lower control arms and in the back they would rub on the inside of the wheel wells under hard cornering,
Hey when you get a chance, look at stymies Mont in the photo section, it looks great!! There are a couple of other guys who did some pretty cool things while you were gone also.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Ah, so, you're one of those guys that can do that welding stuff, eh? I am NOT one of those guys, haha. Cool that it worked out so nicely for you though! I guess in order to think about putting a parking brake on my car, I should first try to find out exactly which disc brakes I have on the back. I really have no idea, haha. They were on the 8.8 when I bought it from the guy. All I can tell you is that they are NOT from a '98 GT.

You could always put your Mustang stuff in another Fox body car too. How about a mid-'80s Continental? haha. Could be easier to find than a Fairmont.

My wheels are the factory Mustang GT/Bullitt wheels from '01-04. I did lose some turning radius. I had the car sitting on Cobra springs at first, but they were too low and the wheels rubbed on the fenders. Now I have Fox Mustang GT springs in front.

Yeah, Stymee and I live pretty close to each other, so I've been keeping up on his car. He helped me with my white smoke issue a couple summer ago, and we make trip to the all-Ford junkyard by us.

As for my gas tank issue, you'll be pleased to know I solved it. I'm scrapped the idea of using the Mustang tank altogether and am using an '85 Fox body LTD wagon tank. It's set up for TBI, so what I needed to do was take the low pressure pump off the sender and retrofit the high pressure stock Mustang pump in its place. Not too tough an operation and the tank fits PERFECTLY. Factory Zeph straps and all. I did need to dig up an '82 and up filler neck for it though. They are smaller diameter, but the same basic shape.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 7:13 pm

thats pretty cool using a tank that fits the car as it should.

no, im not a welder, i'm an electrician, but i have acess to a welder.

i believe the same rear calipers were used from about 94/5 up to 04, even the cobra used the same calipers, even thought it has vented discs, although the pads are thinner.

i would dry fit the cables from the calipers up to the parking brake lever just to see if they are long enough and figure the routing. you may find they are long enough. i know the 2dr coupes are suposed to be about 4 inches longer, but my carpet fits?????

one thing you definitely want to grab when you get the cables is the hook/clips that hold the cables steady when you pull the lever. you can just drill thru the spot welds on the inside of the tunnel with a cordless drill. now that i think about it, i bolted mine to the tunnel to see how it operates, i never did weld it in, just bolted it!!!

i'll find another fairmont, but now i have to wait as we just swapped the wife over to my insurance, and we gotta lots of bills coming up soon, that gives me more time to find more parts and stuff.

after everything else you did, this will be a piece of cake.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 pm

If the calipers from those year cars are all the same as you say, maybe mine aren't Mustang calipers at all. Maybe Lincoln, Turbo Coupe, or I suppose maybe Mustang SVO. I'll have to see if i can find a number on one or something. All I know is, when i was plumbing them for the first time, I bought some hoses for '98 Mustang GT calipers, and they weren't even close. Stymee helped me with that too.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 am

the mustang calipers use cables for the parking brakes, the gran marquis calipers will fit the mounts, but have no provision for cables, i'm not certain about any of the other ones. they may fit the mounts, but i havent tried them yet.

have you tried to dry fit the cables yet? you never know, they may fit.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm pretty sure they have brackets for cables. I haven't tried fitting cables yet because i don't know which ones to get yet, haha.
Back to top Go down
fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 8:29 am

maybe a good idea would be to look on a website from o Riley’s , AutoZone or Napa, and see the pix they offer for the mustang rear calipers, if you check all 3 sites, and they are the same, then you can be pretty certain your calipers are mustang or not.

I would try to get a set of mustang parking brake cables from a reputable local auto salvage merchant, and explain what you are trying to do It’s possible they may be able to identify the calipers and get you going quicker.

Bring the car along they may even try to offer more solutions or assistance.
Back to top Go down
ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Alright, here's a pic of my caliper. Looking at some parts store websites photos, I'm thinking it's from a Mustang SVO/Lincoln Mark VII.

Took Some New Pics! Zephyrefi-albums-some-car-pics-picture2971-rear-caliper

I removed all the parking brake components for some reason, so now I have to find them again. It doesn't looks like your standard parts store sells that stuff like the spring and cable bracket, so I'm looking at finding it at a boneyard. I didn't even save my original parking brake pedal or the parking brake lever from my parts car. How dumb. Right now, I'm guessing finding a complete Mark VII setup is probably my best bet. I think they used a pedal, so I wouldn't have to bother trying to modify the floor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Took Some New Pics!   Took Some New Pics! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Took Some New Pics!
Page 1 of 1