Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Fairmont & Mercury Zephyr Owners and Enthusiast

Scince : Jan 1st/2001 Orig.Fairmont 302 Forum Scince: Nov 8th/2008

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet
Latest topics
» '78 and '79 Fairmont and Zephyr ES
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm by GrantBB

» Stymees'mont / Eric'c Fairmonts
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 pm by GrantBB

» Window Weather Stripping
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am by GrantBB

» Fairmont at Nelson Ledges Road Course
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm by GrantBB

» Latest track day video: Summit Point Shenandoah
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm by GrantBB

» Back in the Fairmont saddle again.
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am by GrantBB

» New to the Group Texasfairmont from south Texas
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am by GrantBB

» 20 years of Fairmont 302
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 pm by Stymees'mont

» Keep it or Scrap It ?
steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:50 pm by Red 78'

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics

OT - Need help with steering

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

steering - OT - Need help with steering Empty
    PostSubject: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:03 pm

I have a Ford E350 van. Recently we have been having this really weird thing happening in the steering.

When driving around town all is fine.

When driving on the highway for an extended period of time the steering becomes difficult to steer the van off center...it feels like there is something resisting turnig the wheel. This only happens after driving for a while on a mostly straight stretch of road at highway speeds.

Any ideas??

Don
    Back to top Go down
    fox81

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Hows the alignment on it? Does the steering wheel shake any at highway speeds? Maybe the power rack might have a small leak? or maybe the fluid is low?

I drove an E-250 that alignment was off on and to say the least I thought the front end was gunna come out from underneath it. If I remember right the steering was kinda funky as well.
    Back to top Go down
    fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 pm

when was the last time it was greased?
    you may have a problem with the pitman arm or one of the other joints. take the heap for a cruise, when the concern is evident, head for the nest and with the help of an assistant observe the steering linkages with the assistant turning the steering wheel, note abnormal movent or noise from any of the joints, paying particular attention to the pitman arm and ball joints. be sure to observe the steering gear for any up & down motion of the main steering shaft. if you determine a fault with one or more of the joints you'll need to isolate this joint from the system to verify the faulty component. rectification usually involves replacement of components and alignment. dont be a dummy and just set the toe and let it go, do the alignment drill and save the tires.
    Back to top Go down
    detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks for the ideas! I'll be on it tomorrow after work. I'll post up when I get it solved.

Don
    Back to top Go down
    fangar150-ex

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 9:41 pm

forgot to ask, does the steering operate nomally after it is off-center, or is it stiff thru-out the entire travel. if it is stiff thru-out the entire travel, the pump could be getting ready to dump, what does the fluid look like? sometimes a bad pump wont show-up until it gets good and warm.
    Back to top Go down
    z7turbo

z7turbo

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:05 am

fangar150-ex wrote:
    forgot to ask, does the steering operate nomally after it is off-center, or is it stiff thru-out the entire travel. if it is stiff thru-out the entire travel, the pump could be getting ready to dump, what does the fluid look like? sometimes a bad pump wont show-up until it gets good and warm.

Just had the pump go out on my f-150.....no leaks, just difficult to steer.
    Back to top Go down
    detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:27 pm

Seems to be fine once off center. I ended up working late (got home at Cool so no new news. Tomorrow night hopefully.

I'll check the fluid color on a white paper towel. ANother food idea!

Don
    Back to top Go down
    Aug

Aug

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 7:29 pm

A long, long, time ago, my dad had a Fairmont that would only be hard to turn to the left. It was fine turning right, but when you tried to go left, it would resist you until you put a TON of force on the wheel, then it would break loose all of a sudden and have full boost. It was a stuck valve internal to the rack. I know that the van uses recirculating ball steering, but the principle is the same as far as the valving goes and whatnot.

I guess this doesn't really have anything to do with anything, I just wanted to share.

Later,
    Mike.
    Back to top Go down
    detroitiron2000

detroitiron2000

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:02 pm

It's been raining since I posted so haven't played with it too much (not driving it now anyway) but I did check the fluid...seems perfect.

The valve thing sounds like a good idea since it seems to be fine around town which is lower rpm and you're turning the wheel a lot as compared to the highway where it's high rpm and you're turing the wheel such a small amount. It's supposed ot be nice this weekend so I'll attack it more then.

Don
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT - Need help with steering   steering - OT - Need help with steering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OT - Need help with steering
    Page 1 of 1